Pagan Underworld... *Research Question*

Again, I'm specifically aiming this at Pagans, but all are welcomed.

How do you view the Underworld?
Do you have a belief in this at all?
What is the purpose of the Underworld and Why do we go there?
Do you have any other general beliefs surrounding the Underworld?

**Please note I use the term Underworld loosely, to refer to the place where our spirits go upon death... If this isn't a term you use, simply replace it with your own interpretation...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• From what I understand the"underworld" is where the God and Goddess of transition or death reside. I have also wondered if it is the same as Tuatha De Danann?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I dont believe in an Underworld of any kind. I think that if there is a "hell/underworld" its here on earth.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• The underworld is more of an in between place and is not comparable to the Christian version of "hell"
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I used the term Underworld simply for lack of a better term. My beliefs are similar to the Greco-Roman use of Underworld, and I didn't mean it to refer to anything close to Hell... Simply a term to refer to the place where spirits go after the physical body is dead... I was going to use the term "Spirit Realm" but I believe there are many of these and was to afraid it would cause confusion... Guess I did that anyways...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Maybe if I answer the question it will explain things further...

I see the Underworld as the place where ALL spirits go upon separation from the physical body. I see there to be 3 levels or "rings." When our spirits separate from our physical self we enter in to the outer most ring. From here we serve as "spirit guides" or "Guardian Angels" until we are no longer connected to the physical realm (by memories and emotional connections to the still living). Once we are no longer connected to the physical plan we move on to the second "ring." We reside there in a state of "meditation" or spiritual calmness in order to both prepare for the next life to come and fully "digest" the life we just left. From there we are reborn to physical life (reincarnated). Once our spirits have gone through the cycle of life and attained all the lessons needed to ascend to our "higher self" we are able to enter and remain in the inner most ring.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• WOW, Sabrina.....I think you should dedicate an entire book to this subject. We do not have hardly any Pagan books on this subject. I can't wait to see your books out there for us to buy
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Ugh, holy over use of the word "subject" batman. I do apologize for my poor grammar.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• HaHa, it's okay pnwmom, we love you anyway!

I feel like I am getting absolutely nowhere on the book thing though. I write and I write, but because my beliefs are not of any path but my own I'm always a little leary to put them out there. Most books you get about Paganism are based on Wicca or a specific path, and are meant to be used as a sort of guide or educational material... But being I'm Eclectic, my beliefs overlap with just about every path I start to learn about, which makes me leary because I don't want anyone to see my books as a "guide" to be followed or something which needs to be taken as "fact" because these are only "facts" to me... SO although I keep writing, I just keep deleting... Hopefully some day, I'll actually get to a point where I get things written out to where I am happy enough with it to publish. Til then, it's just the blog...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Hel the place, ruled by Hel, the daughter of Loki. Generally a very neutral place - no fire and brimstone, no torture, nothing especially dark about it. It's where everyone goes except for the few select individuals chosen for Valhalla or Folkvangr. The only things that bring shame and "punishment" after death is lying and oathbreaking. People who do that are confined to the dark and damp corners of Hel, bu not so much because they are "judged" by the gods and placed there, but because everyone else in Hel shuns them, just as they do in life. Upon arriving there you are surrounded by your ancestors and live as a communal family just as you would in life. How you are welcomed is relative to how well you honored them in life.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:13 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• For me, Underworld simply refers to a resting place for dead people before rebirth.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2010