regular size pillows for one year olds?

I have twin boys who just turned one in september. I'm getting them toddler bedding sets for christmas that come with a pillow case and I'm wondering when I can give them a regular size pillow in their crib.

I want to put one of those invisible zippers on it so they obviously wouldn't be able to shove their head in side it... but my mom thinks they'll get UNDER the pillow and wont be able to get out and will suffocate.....

when did you give your toddler a regular size pillow?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 3
    Get those travel sized pillows for them

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I used the travel pillows for my son until he was about 2 1/2 or 3, because he is a very sound sleeper.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I never used anything but a standard sized pillow - they got one anywhere between 5 months and 11 months. Never had a problem with them. They all slept better when they had a pillow like mommy & daddy.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon, my kids both had a full sized pillow at 1, it helped them sleep and I never had a problem with either of them.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• neither of my kids had a regular sized pillow until they were out of the crib...so 2 and 3....my son had a travel sized one when he was a little over one and my daughter liked to sleep with her boppy pillow once she was 18 months or so.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We use a travel size pillow for our 2 yr old's bed. It's pretty flat and just the right size for him.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Great question. I asked the kids dr. and she said, One year. For my son I waited til he was a year and half. Why? because I was scared. Yes I was, not sure why....Okay...I just don't like to think about. Now for my daughter I gave her one, just after her first b-day. She did not want it. So, what I say is just go with your gut feeling. And watch to see how they deal with a pillow. Try it for a nap, and see how it goes.
    colepip2

Answer by colepip2 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I really don't think a pillow can suffocate a child by just being on their face without some kind of force on it. But there is all the talk about not having anything fluffy in the crib for risk of suffocation and I don't want to take any chances. It's not really necessary to give a child a pillow because they don't have a problem sleeping on a flat mattress without one. But if your heart is really set on having the matching pillow cases, go for it. Just don't have 15 other stuffed animals and a fluffy blanket in there too. On that Teen Mom show one of the moms put her daughter in the crib and I swear she was swimming in stuffed animals and you couldn't even see the mattress
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I started my son on one very early, at 10 months old, but he has had horrible allergies since he was very little and it has helped him a lot. He is now almost 2 and I have never had any problems with him using one.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2010