How do you deal with the death of a love one?

I had a friend who lost her best friend,sister,father,mother,all in one year she's dealing with things a lot better now but she went threw a lot of counseling and praying each day.But now she found out that she has cancer and she only wants to know how can I tell my six and nine year old kids? I didn't know what to say!What would you do If it was you?

PINKIA

Asked by PINKIA at 7:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Health

• There is nothing that you can say or do to fix this for her. Job really comes to mind when I read about here trial. What is important is being there. Give her your time. Ask her what you can do. Knowing that others love and support you during these things is sooo important. Keep praying...pray together..get her on prayer chains. He Listens. take care.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Everyone deals with death in their own way. There are many ways to grieve. I like what my mother did. She made memory pillows out of my grandmother's clothing when she passed. They were done in a patchwork pattern and everyone in the family was given one.

My son was very close to my grandmother (she passed only a few months ago). I basically explained to him what death was and what we believe in our religion happens when a person dies. I explained to him that he can still talk to her, but now it's in his head. She can hear his thoughts when he thinks about her. etc. He also drew a picture that was placed in her coffin with her.

He didn't fully understand until he went with me to the wake. He was fine until we were leaving. Then he started to cry. When I asked him what was wrong he said, "Nana isn't comming back is she?" I hugged him and told him that no she wasn't. He was fine after that. Every now and then he'll say "I miss Nana" and we'll
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Well....Is it curable?? ,,,,,,,,,If so she will be fine,,,,,,,,,,,you will be amazed how people deal witht his kind of stuff.....better than you think,,,,,,,,,,,,just be there for her and understand if she doesnt want to talk,,,,,how can someoene have all that bad luck>?? what a year,,was it unexpected?
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• tell them the truth. don't hide it, don't sugar coat it and when they ask questions that you don't know the answer to say i don't know. kids will worry more if you try to bs them. plus, should the unthinkable happen, they should be prepared.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• yup....being told you have cancer is NOT a death sentence....Be supportive and there for her.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2008