How can my daughter in law and I communicate better?

She and I have known each other for a couple of years. Would text back and forth for all that time because she lived out of town for a year. Ever since she and my son have been married for about four months, she and I have become little distant towards each other. Wanting to get back to how we were without all the awkwardness. Its like knowing her all over again in different way. She is 20 years old if that makes a difference. Thanks!

3boys879092

Asked by 3boys879092 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• My approach to my daughters-in-law has always been just to make myself available in case they need me. They have their own moms and it is expected that they will be much closer to them. I don't try to be best friends with them, but I try to foster the atmosphere so that if they ever need to call on me, they know I will help them out. I don't call them just to chat. I call only when I have a specific reason for calling. If I want to just chat, I call my sons. Our oldest boy has been married for 16 years, the younger one for 6 years, and so far, this has worked extremely well for all of us.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My mother in law and I have a great relationship, but it ebbs and flows. She is very busy and has her own life, tons going on, and is often too busy for us. I like that she doesn't expect to be included in everything, but it kind of sucks that we feel put on the back burner sometimes. My oldest child's birthday was two months ago and she hasn't gotten her present yet.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• These days getting that connection might turn out that you be called a meddling MIL, so I would let her make the moves first and be there if needed. They are now building their lives, don't take it personally.

Answer by older at 8:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would take her out for lunch and tell her what you just said. Let her know you don't want to meddle (because older is right and it could be viewed that way) but you would like to be closer and ask her to let you know what you can do to help make that happen. She won't feel threatened or backed into a corner that way.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2010