Are you making your child fat?

Are you feeding them junk all the time? Are you feeding them fruits and vegetables? Do you use food as a reward? Do your children get enough exercise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Neither of my children are even close to "chubby" let alone fat... They never stop running (I swear they wake up in motion) and generally do eat all day - everything from fruits and veggies to junk... But I am a firm believer in all things in moderation... And seeing how you can see the ribs of both of my children (if they take off their shirt of course) when they aren't "sucking it in" I would say, No, I'm not.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I'm not making my child fat or skinny, I'm making her HEALTHY.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Great answer Namaster!! Just because your kid is super skinny does not make them healthy. It's the story of the 45 yo man in seemingly good health because he was thin and died of aa heartattack. He ate junk food but because his metabolism was so quick he appeared thin and in good health. EVERYONE should keep this in mind. You know if whether or not you eat healthy and feed your children healthy. It's not whether you are thin or not...perfect answer!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Every meal we make at dinner time has at least one vegetable, and I don't mean corn. lol We make asparagus, broccoli, baby green beans, spinache, salads, etc. That being said, we also eat a lot of pasta as dinner entree's too and meats from chicken, pork, fish and yes red meat! I agree everything in moderation, but I think sugar is the true enemy leading to diabetes, etc. I think we should probably not offer as much sugary treats!! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My daughter does not eat junk all the time, she does get it as a "treat" every now and then. She eats her fruits and most of the time her vegetables. We do not use food as a reward. And my daughter is jumping up and down and running around from the moment she wakes up until the moment she gets ready for bed. So I'm pretty sure she gets enough exercise. She's 2 years old and is only about 26 pounds, which is slim for her age according to her pediatrician. So I'm pretty sure I'm not making my daughter fat.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My son is now a teenager. He has not stopped moving since the day he was born. He eats fairly healthy but loves his junk food as well sometimes. He does not have any of the electronic games nor does he sit and watch tv all day. The only time he was ever big was when he was on a certain medication. All things and moderation and get outside to enjoy fresh air and exercise.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We eat healthy, organic mostly. My son prefers fruits and veggies over anything. He gets treats occasionally.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• lol, not bashing but asking, would you actually expect someone to say "YES, I am making my kid one more obese child" lol, just curious. I am blessed to have kids that are ranged. I have 3 boys, the oldest and youngest are both high percentiles, but are healthy, not fat. the middle is puny. The ONLY things I don't let my kids eat are sugary and caffeine. They can pretty much eat whatever bc like others have posted, they don't stop moving. I don't force them to eat and they eat when they are hungry, they drink when they are thirsty and they drink mostly water, 100% juice, and milk. They eat a range of food, my oldest loves sushi, middle and baby love salad. So they are well balanced eat a range of food, and yes eat some "junk" but not much when they do and very infrequently at that. Portion control and activity is key and as long as there is that, kids should be fine.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Although both of my children do the same things and eat the same things, my daughter is over weight. I think I am contributing to it, because I don't want to tell her she can't have the same things her brother can. I am trying to have the entire family make better decisions. We are working on it.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i'm trying not to, i have an "obsession" if you will, with him being average or below average. i want him to have a normal adulthood and childhood (as far as weight goes) and don't want to set him up for failure. i do the best i can. he loves fruits and veggies and loves snacks too.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2010