my husband and i were early walkers, so it seems she wants to skip right to walking, but is that good for her?

tied to when should my baby start crawling

Miss_Ali

Asked by Miss_Ali at 8:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard of babies walking before they crawled lots of times! I've never heard there's anything wrong with it. Babies just do what they're ready for. My daughter started walking a few short months after she started crawling. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you continue to stay concerned, just talk to her pediatrician about it. He/she will ease your mind.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My oldest niece never crawled. She started walking at 8 months. I started walking at 9 months. My niece is very smart, and so am I. Babies do what they are ready for. They actually do know what they want, and are ready for. They just can't tell us. I would worry more if she never started walking or crawling. If she is already walking, all you have to worry about is her bumping her head when she falls down. She will be fine:)
    Jacobismommy

Answer by Jacobismommy at 8:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Not all babies do crawl. I never did. Now, is that bad? Meh, it depends on who you talk to. My oldest never crawled and my Peds said there was nothing wrong with that. But when I was a kid they told my mother a non-crawler had a higher chance of being learning disabled (I'm dyslexic)... They told her that children with a learning disability don't have the ability to work both arms and both legs at once, which is why they go straight to walking... I don't know if I believe that, but I know that is what they told my mother. But my Peds didn't seem to see anything wrong with my son walking at 6 months and never crawling.

Really though, you can't force her to crawl. If she wants to walk, she wants to walk. There is no physical reason she shouldn't be able to walk, so don't worry.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Don't stress so much about it. She will crawl if she wants and walk when she wants to. You can't push her into either and it all come iner own good time.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I do not think there is anything wrong with it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i heard if ur baby walks before crawling its an early sign that it will be a mass murderer

but what do those ppl know ..haha i say whatever comes natural to her let it be ? kinda like if they are left or right handed u can't force them to do something that doesn't come naturally
    mama2jaybub

Answer by mama2jaybub at 8:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• What the baby's choice of being mobile is, is perfectly fine. As long as they're developing and advancing in the stages. A lot of babies skip crawling and go straight to walking. My son maybe crawled a few inches and then he decided he didn't like that. Got up and he took off walking. It's perfectly normal. It's all about what they're comfortable with and feel they're able to do.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Crawling is not a developmental milestone, and many babies never crawl

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• some babies never crawl- its not bad if she goes straight to walking- you just have to chase her sooner that's all haha
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It is important for their right-left brain development to crawl. No, not all babies do, but if you can encourage it then it's only helpful.

"We know that crawling definitely develops skills like sense of direction, spatial and motor abilities. And these skills together with a few other skills lay the foundation for further development like reading.

So, in short I'd say crawling is not the only activity that teaches reading skills. But it definitely lays a vital foundation."

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2010