Accepting a New House, Step Mother and Step siblings

I have a 9 year old daughter and her father moved in with his girlfriend and her two kids. They are planning on getting married and my daughter is having a difficult time with accepting the new house and her dad remarrying. Looking for books that she can read to help her cope and understand what is going on.

heatherett

Asked by heatherett at 4:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Just tell her that Daddy and Mommy love her VERY MUCH and that she will always have both to guide and care for her.
    Try praying with her. It will take time. Hope all works out. Im the step mom to two stepdaughters. I tell you I have to love them and be the mature Christian women. I know I'm not their mom, but I do want to establish a loving relationship with them. Just don't ask to take a picture with your ex like myhubb's ex did when we took a blended family picture....errrr I'm still letting that go and moving forward. Let me know if you need any advice. Blessings :)
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 4:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I have been thinking about you .....and I think that the more she sees you're okay and happy for him the more she will accept it too. I think it also depend on how welcoming the other side is. Try to set a time to meet with her and let your daughter see that you two are not enemies. I'm sure you might have some things in common. You never know. Let the new gf see that you're not a threat to their relationship you are just interested that your daughter is doing okay.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Don't advice your daughter against it (the dad with new gf) it's cause more damage then you think. It may back fire one day. Do the best on calming her fears that daddy doesn't love her, because i'm sure HE DOES!! She will always be his princess. Encourage her to develope a nice relationship with them and be happy for daddy. And for you, you need to work on healing if you haven't already. :) Best wishes again. I was single too for about 3 years, but I did work on healing through God's word. I got involved in the church and surrounded myself with good people. :) My old ways changed. I see things different then before.
    JCRestoredme

• The most important thing you can do is let her no you are ok with it.She wanted to see you to get back together,thats every childs wish.But she needs to no moms ok.
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Encourage her to being accepting of her new stepmom and stepsiblings. (If they are nice enough people, that's all you can ask.) And talk with her Dad and see if he can spend some one/one time with her and talk things through. She may simply not be ready to share him with the limited time she gets with him since he no longer lives at home.
    tomsbride

Answer by tomsbride at 5:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Also, let her know that accepting a stepmom does not betray you in any way as her MOM. No one can come between that bond and no one will replace her with you OR her Dad.
    tomsbride

Answer by tomsbride at 5:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2008