Violent Uprising is on the Table?

Stephen Broden, a Republican running for Congress in Texas' 30th District, said he would not rule out a violent overthrow of the government if the midterm elections don't cause a change in government, saying that "our nation was founded on violence" so "the option is on the table."

According to the Dallas Morning News, Broden said in a TV interview yesterday: "We have a constitutional remedy here and the Framers says if that don't work, revolution."

"If the government is not producing the results or has become destructive to the ends of our liberties, we have a right to get rid of that government and to get rid of it by any means necessary," he continued.

The head of the Dallas County GOP has called the remarks "inappropriate."

Broden is challenging incumbent Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D).

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/10/republican-house-candidate-violent-uprising-is-on-the-table.php

Thoughts? Answer Question

Friday

Asked by Friday at 8:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What I find most supremely ridiculous is using the obnoxious business-speak phrase "on the table" while speaking of some kind of bloody revolution. What an idiot.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Well, I wouldn't be for a total revolution, violence never solves anything, as we have all seen proven day in and day out. However, the turn this country has taken, it would not bother me if Texas were able to secede. Some say we can, some say we can't. However, I don't think violence would work. I do think the revolution and turn over will come with the elections, as the Dems are voted out,and the Reps. are voted back in, similar to 2008, and we'll just see where it all goes from there.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 8:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yes b/c violence solves everything. Sarcasm.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Did you gals read the posts made about the article? OMG. Sedition. Treason. Nazi German...this guy just opened up all kinds of shit, didn't he? Did he THINK before he spoke? I mean, I can agree with him, but then again, this is extreme.

I just think, and I'm sure I'm alone in this, but I just don't think every problem in this world needs such a complicated solution.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would not be suprised at all. Maybe not in my lifetime but eventually.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Wow. At least the head of the Dallas County GOP had enough character to call Broden's comments "inappropriate".

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• "god forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion . . . the tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure." ~~~~Thomas Jefferson

One persons's traitor is another person's patriot. I do not support a VIOLENT revolution. A revolution by definition is a "fundamental change." We have experienced this already. I have not problem with a violence free revolution taking us to where we should be.

As far as the guy goes..there are nuts everywhere and in both parties.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Oh, Jefferson was referring to Shay's rebellioin when he made this now famous quote.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• He says "our country was founded on violence" ? WHat the....is he on drugs?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• LOL! He probably just didn't inhale!
    Anonymous