How do you explain the trinity to your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• How do you explain it to an adult? The best explanation I have heard is the anaology of water, which can exist as steam, water or ice. They are all water but three different forms of water. I think it is still a complex concept and very hard for children to grasp. I would love to hear them try to explain it. I wonder what they are thinking.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• awww...tea time...I can't believe someone at work said to me (knowing Im a Christian) hey maybe you were an Englishmen in your before life because you drink alot of tea....haha I said "What" and they apologized I'm just playing. THEY know better then that. I'm in here with my Christian music and all. Lol..

Okay, back to the questions. Another anology is 1x1x1=1
    They don't mean 1 God in 3 God's, or 3 Persons in 1 Person, or 1 Person in 3 Gods

Rather

1 God in 3 Persons!
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 4:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• why explain it to them as kids wait til they are older like teens so that they can understand it better then
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• You can use the example of an apple, or an egg. They have 3 parts, but they are all one thing.
    Eggs: shell, yolk, white - Apple: skin, meat, core
    I don't think it's quite accurate, but it's something kids can understand.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• when I was younger that's how it was explained to me... the one egg but three parts and that's how I explained it to my son.. i also used other items with the same concept as the egg and used it when teaching childrens church. put it in as simple of terms as possible. and good for you for wanting to explain this while they are young.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I had my child hold their hand up to their mouth and close their eyes. Think of the word Trinity, say the word Trinity and then feel the breath of the word on their hand. There you have the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• This is a difficult topic even for adults! =) I have kept it simple with my boys. I tell them that God has 3 special names ~ God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Each name means a different special job that God does. They are all the same "person" but we use their different names when talking about each job.

Once they get older (they are only 5 and 3), we'll dive a little deeper.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 7:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I like most of the analogies listed. When I taught first grade rel. ed, I used the 3 leaf clover to explain 3 parts of the same thing.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 8:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Use dad:-) He is Father, he is a son, and he is a husband---but one being:-)
    Anonymous