Need HELP with my 5yr old DS...PLEASE

My DS turned 5 in August, and started Kindergarten in September. Before he started Kindergarten he was respectful, and listened for the most part. I mean don't get me wrong he still got into trouble sometimes but, nothing that i couldn't handle. Well, now that he has started Kindergarten he is a little terror. We have taken toys away, his Wii. We've put him in time out, we've spanked. He is awesome at school, the teacher says that he listens and is respectful. He won't even listen to DH anymore, and even before Kindergarten if he wouldn't listen to me he surely would listen to DH. I just don't know what to do. It's embarrassing to even bring him to the store because he does NOT listen. While DH, DS and I were at the store today I had to bring DS out to the car because he was screaming and not listening, even if I just touched his arm slightly to re-direct him he would scream 'OW that HURTS LET ME GO'....HELP!!! lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It seems like you work so hard with your kids and they are very well behaved, then you send them to school and it's like the other kids influence ruin all your wonderful works. I just came down a lil harder on them and let them know their behavior was not acceptable and I'm not putting up with it.
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• P.S. Good for you on taking him to the car and not trying to bribe him with gifts to get him to act better. IMO- GOOD MOM MOVE!!!
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• He has learned a lot of new behaviors at school and is trying them out on you, to see what he can and cannot do. It's completely normal and yes, totally annoying. You need to be patient and work with him through each behavior, what is OK and what is not. GL
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I have a boy in kindergarden this year too. It sucks!!!! The boy, testosterone crap that they are doing is rediculous. He is pretty good at school for the teacher. He come home telling all about the kids on the play ground threatening him and pushing him over who is friends with who. They are all trying to be cool and dominant. I talked to his teacher and she said he was acting like a typical 6 year old BOY. I know his anxiety level is through the roof.
    I would say what you are going through is typical, unfortunitly.
    Sorry I cannot spell.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My son is in kindergarten this year too. He is great at school, but at home he can get out of hand sometimes. We joke that he used up all of his 'good' at school. I honestly think this is the reason too. He spent 6 hours sitting quietly, doing his work, once he gets home he needs to get that energy out.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree with slw123, it sounds like he is balancing out how he has to behave at school. Kids don't get to express themselves much there and it sounds like he's overcompensating at home. Maybe he would benefit from a creative or physical outlet like music or extra-curricular sports. Keep being firm and consistent regarding expectations about his behaviour, but also try to open a dialogue about what's going on with him.
    Also, there is a lot of pressure on kids at school, not only to behave but also how to act to have friends on the playground. He might be reacting to something in his social scene as well. My daughter was really upset that she wasn't invited to another girl's birthday party, but instead of telling us about how she felt, behaving *terribly* for nearly a week before finally explaining what was wrong. Maybe your son is feeling excluded by his peers and acting out is his way of expressing that.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 7:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Maybe you should be blunt and to the point with him. Tell him that you know he doesn't act this way, and you won't put up with it. Tell him you think other kids at school are acting this way, and he is trying it out, and it better stop. At that age, they can test the bounderies and you really can't let them succeed in getting away with the bad behavior.
    tucson.mary

Answer by tucson.mary at 6:35 AM on Oct. 30, 2010