Have You Ever Foughten Over Baptisim For Your Child?

So....my parents-in-law want our son to be Roman Catholic and my DH's dad would really like that, it would complete him pretty much, but my grandmother really wants our son to be Christian. I know he is my DH && my son so it is our choice but have you ever been stuck in this situation for your child or pressured by your parents/relatives? I don't want to disappoint anyone but it seems Im in a lose/lose situation. Any suggestions? :/

JacksonsMommyx3

Asked by JacksonsMommyx3 at 8:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• MIL tried to give us grief for not baptizing our babies. I told her 13 years ago, I'm not Catholic. It's their problem, not yours. You do what you want with your kids. They had their turn.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Catholicism is a form of Christianity.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yes I have felt pressured before...and you need to learn early on to STAND UP for your parental rights and better yet...your SONS rights.

Really baptism DOES nothing, he will have a choice when he is older what religion he wants to follow and how he wants to go about it.

so tell well meaning family that you want to teach him about religion and let him decide on his own....they will get over it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yep, both sides of the family. In-laws, Catholic, my parents, Lutheran. I personally see religion as the choice of my children when they're ready to make that choice. I'm not baptizing them, they're fine just the way they are. I'm not religious so I'm not worried about them going to some mystical place of fire and torture.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Nope. I'm Pagan, My family is JW, my DH is Christian -- NO ONE wanted our children baptized! We all believe that's a choice that only they can make and not one that should be chosen for them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Well, Roman Catholicism is a branch of Christianity. And realistically, even if you baptise them as infants, it won't 'make' them either Catholic or Protestant... they will need to figure out their beliefs as they grow, just like everyone else. What do you want to do- you don't say in your post. As the parent, YOU get the final say... and you will never be able to please all those disparate family members, no matter how hard you try, so why not follow your own heart on the matter?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would say that if you are going to raise your child in a specific religion, it would make sense the baptize him in that faith. It doesn't really make sense to me to get your child baptized but not attend a church. That's just my view. :-)

You and your husband need to decide and leave the extended family out of it. They just need to respect the choice you make.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 9:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Being Catholic is another form of or another denomination of Christianity as for myself no...my grown dd's were christened Lutheran,
    but that was at a time that I too was still trying to find myself with in the Christian faith...
    I am raising my grandson now and no he is not nor is he going to be baptized... I am now a Pagan and my Dh is Christian and we both
    agree that if and when our gs chooses a religion he will then decide wither or not he wishes to go thru a baptism ....
    As for your concerns... the child is YOURS and it it yours and your Dh's decision as to how you raise your child and in what if any religious beliefs.. Simply put your foot down and tell them it is your child, YOUR choice... NOT theirs...

GL
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• To me, the baptism does no good unless the person is making the choice, so baptising an infant or child really does nothing anyway. But that decision is between you and your husband, no one else. You can listen to what they have to say, but in the end you and your husband need to make the decision, not them. Yes, they may be mad at your decision, but you are the parents, not them.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My Son (now 11) was baptised Catholic when he was 3 with a lot of pressure from his sperm donors family. He became a Christian on his own in January. Baptise him where ever. God doesn't care if you are baptized Catholic or Luteran or whatever... he cares only that you come to him on your own terms. Simply let your child decide when they are older and leave all religion and relationship with God choices wide open. Be happy your child is being dedicated to God and leave it at that. The building matters not.
    1lv2stks3nlz4ev

Answer by 1lv2stks3nlz4ev at 10:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010