How do I get my son to stop putting his fingers in his butt...

He's 3, and every time I turn around he's got his fingers in his butt. If he has clothes on, he's giving himself a major wegie... If he has his clothes off (potty or bath time) he is actually trying to put them in there... WTH? How do I stop this?

I've been home with him since the day he was born, the only other people who have ever had him out of my site has been my DH (his father), my mother & grandmother... So I know there is no chance he was abused in anyway - since I know someone will say that...

I know it's normal to explore, and I don't really want to discourage that... But poop covered fingers are just not my idea of okay. Not to mention if he's doing it when I don't see it and then they go in his mouth.... EWWW!

Anyone have a clue what I could do? How to squash this behavior?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At three you should be able to talk to him about it being inapproprite. Tell him how dirty poop is and it can make you sick. You should never touch it.
    Maybe he has an itch or an irritation, have you asked the Dr to check this out.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I little chili powerder on the end of his finger
    genav

Answer by genav at 9:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We explained to him that it's gross and that he can get very very sick from it. But he just doesn't seem to care. He's fully potty trained but we still have an issue with him pooping his pants because he simply doesn't want to stop what he's doing to go and he has no issue sitting in it til we catch it... When he was a baby he had constant diaper rash, and I've often wondered if he still has some kind of irritation which occurs, but he doesn't really give us any kind of answer... We keep him clean, it's not like he's got dirty or bugs or anything...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I'm right with tootoobusy on the answer to this. Just tell him it will make him sick and remind him of all the fun stuff he can't do when he's sick.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Just tell him, no, it's yucky and can make him sick. Sid the Science Kid has a good episode on germs you can use to help you. Please, for the love of God, don't put chili powder on his fingers. The chemical that makes chiles hot is extremely sticky, difficult to wash off, and can cause permanent damage to mucus membranes including the eyes.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Don't worry loving... I know better... I can't imagine how anyone could do that to their own child!

Thanks ladies for your answers... I guess we are just going to keep talking to him about it... He's seen that Sid like 100 times, but he's never been sick - neither of my kids ever have - so I don't think he really understands what that means.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Also- have your doc check him out to be sure he doesn't have pinworms or something.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• lol-sabrina, I hadn't even noticed it was your question...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Maybe use some poweder in his britches, if its an itch that should help. My son kept diggin at his whole too, thats what we did. Im not sure if he was going too much & irritating it but his dad & I wipe his butt so it was clean/ Good luck
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Holy crap Genav what if he rubs his eyes before he touches his butt?!
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2010