makeing my own baby food

Ok so today i made DD some baby food Avocado and she loved it. this is the first time ever make my own baby food and i was wondering if anyone had any tip or ideas on makeing any other kinds that are realy good for baby. any ideas would be helpfull i am so happy she liked them. if avocados are so good for you how come they don't come in a baby food i have never thought to ask that?? thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Avocados require citrus or another additive to prevent browning. Since neither are good for babies, your only option is a masher...lol
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• one important tip: give it a few days between new foods to look out for allergic reactions! Keep a journal. Once the new food is all clear, you can combine that food with a new food if you wish! some good first foods are avacado, sweet potato and bananas. www.wholesomebabyfoods.com and www.weelicious.com ar egreat websites for recipes, news and charts when it comes to making your own! I also highly recommend the book "Super Babyfood". My son loved te combination of pear and sweet potato!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• for things like sweet potato, I bought a steamer at the dollar tree and cooked the veggie/fruit over the hot water and the steam basically made it soft enough to mash up. for beginners you want to dilute the food a little bit (the foods you steam) w/ the water you used for steaming or some breastmilk...then once your baby is ready for a new texture add less, then eventually just serve mashed!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I used fresh veggies, steamed them, and blended them up in a blender. I used about any veggies and fruit.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I found the book "Super Baby Food" to be extremely helpful. It tells you what age to introduce fruits and veggies. Some fruits and veggies can be served cooked sooner but not raw.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I bought an electric stamer for less than $20 at target. If you boil veggies than they lose most of their vitamins. I steam squash, organic carrots, and organic sweet potatoes. Then I spoon a serving into a snack size baggie and flatten it and freeze them. They stack so much nicer in the freezer that way. I also mash up 1/2 an organic banana for my baby every day. Good luck
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 5:38 AM on Oct. 24, 2010