What are some of your favorite 'old time' remedies for certain ailments?

I always like hearing from the older generations on what helps/treats this or that. Like my daughter got planters warts from her daycare, and my grandma told me to put duct tape on them and wha-la, it worked (she also suggested horse crap, but eh, not with a 2 year old)! Or taking a hot bath and putting a cold compress on your head to get rid of a headache. Some of those weird old tricks that seem to work and are still used to this day.

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 9:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Health

• hot water with honey and lemon for a sore throat... chicken soup for a cold... baking soda paste to draw out a splinter or for a bug bite
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• For a sore throat, my mom would always give me hot water (not too hot) and put table salt in it, then gargle it. It soothed my throat very well. :))
    fluppyducky

Answer by fluppyducky at 10:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• when I have bad throat congestion I gargle with warm vinegar then swallow it. sounds nasty, but the vapors loosen up everything and swallowing it is safe because it's a good detox! if I continue this remedy throughout the day my ailments are gone in a few days, whereas if i let it run its course it either gets worse or I feel moiserable for a week or more. the ole' chicken soup remedy is a great one. It's been a remedy for generations in my family. The vapor of the hot soup help loosen up congestion plus you're getting something yummy and it's easy on an upset tummy
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Onion juice and honey for sore throats and coughs.
    Salt water gargle for sore throats and any problems with teeth.
    Whole clove to bite down on toothaches.
    Peppermint Ginger tea for stuffy noses.
    Baking soda paste for stings and bites.
    Oatmeal baths for itches from bites and pox and mumps.
    Neti pots for nasal congestions and cleansing.
    Hydrogen Peroxide, Iodine, and antibiotic ointment for all cuts, scrapes and abrasions.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2010