Let's say DADT gets repealed. What then?

You can't just say it means gays can serve openly. I want you to go deeper. What changes will occur within the military? How do you see it all playing out logistically?

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 9:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't see it as something that can be repealed overnight due to the logistics. For starters, there are a handful of states that recognize gay marriage. Does that mean because someone is serving in the military the state they are stationed in will recognize their marriage? And then there is the issue of benefits like Tricare, SGLI, etc. If there are laws saying same sex couples who are federal employees cannot get benefits, does the same apply to the military? What kind of training will everyone have to receive? Ever since Tailhook, sexual harassment training is mandated. I'm not too concerned about the berthing and showering. It's just not as easy as overturning DADT and giving gays the go ahead. There is so much more involved. It has to be done right and that will take a while.

It's a huge paradigm shift and everyone has to be on board with it for the transition to happen smoothly.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I can't see it being "OPENLY" accepted by soldiers, I may be wrong, that's jmo… Personally, I don't care what your sexual preference is but don't flaunt it in my face or in public, it's inappropriate, REGARDLESS OF SEXUAL PREFERENCE.  Personally, I don't think it's appropriate for any couple to be romantically exhibitionistic in public, children are out there, for Pete's sake! Get a room~~  Why do some gay folks seem to enjoy the SHOCK VALUE a little too much?   

But then, by some in q&a, I AM called an old white, racist, ignorant, tea bagger, so what do I know?big smile mini

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I bet there will be tons of regs and checklists and reorganizing and redefining and all....it could take years. I know how the Military works,unfortunately,and it is NEVER easy.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• The issues that come to mind are logistics, personnel, housing, etc... No matter how hard some want to put emotions ahead of logic, the military doesn't (thankfully) rely on quick emotional responses.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• we're that much closer to the ideals upon which the country was founded.
    many dedicated, highly skilled and patriotic individuals can return to dedicating their lives to serving this country as they wish.
    a few bigots will get their nose out of joint; tough luck for them, just as it is for the racists who would prefer a segregated military.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:30 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Thank you lzsarejman! I agree with you. It is nice to see someone that can look at it from this POV, so many people can't get past the emotion of the issue. That creates even more problems imo.

yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• kerp, thank you. I agree with your answer as well. As a fellow military wife I too have seen how hard things can be.

yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I was in the military for 12 years, deployed once to Iraq. I know how things work when it comes to getting any type of policy or change implemented. Look how long it took for women to finally start serving on submarines. It's a gradual process.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Boas in the barracks!!!!

No, obviously, I'm kidding. It's obviously going to take some time to get things implemented. Ages and ages and ages. To me, it's really about a training bit...I know people are going to say there are already gays serving, but they aren't allowed to be, well, gay. The HR standpoint will take a while to iron out.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Why do some gay folks seem to enjoy the SHOCK VALUE a little too much?

because pinheads deserve twisted knickers, that's why.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:33 AM on Oct. 24, 2010