Why are people adopting abroad then....

I have a sincere question about the actual facts regarding infant adoption, and why Americans are adopting from other countries. I read an article saying that there are apparently so many African American infant boys that need to be adopted and that there are not enough people out there that want to adopt them. It says African American boys are amongst the hardest to place. Is this true? Is there really an "overabundance" of infant AA baby boys? If so, what is it that would make a person, that is obviously open to other races, look at going to other countries instead? These are sincere questions, not asked to cause any sort of debate about whether people should be adopting locally or not. Thanks in advance.

Gandeluv

Asked by Gandeluv at 9:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Adoption

• I would say it's more costly, but yes it is less waiting time!
    00momma00

Answer by 00momma00 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Well, I know that in my area there are an abundance of AA boys of all ages in the system waiting for adoption. I also know that most, if not all, of them come from drug-addicted mothers & most, if not all, of these very same boys have developmental disabilities, learning disabilities, mental health disorders, FAS, etc. People want healthy children & they know they're not going to get that with an AA boy (or girl, for that matter) in this area. Yeah, it sounds horribly prejudice, but it's the truth. Sad as it is, that's how it is in this area.
    Anonymous

• The foster system is a completely different can of worms than infant adoption. Do you have a link to the article? Usually people are told that they are not likely to get to adopt a child under the age of five through the foster system. It does happen, but the system exists to reunite families and many of the children never become available for adoption. When we checked into fost-adopt, we were told that they discourage people wanting infants from becoming licensed as foster parents.

We were open to any race but both times were chosen by women of the same race as us, carrying babies of the same race (we adopted through domestic infant adoption). Our agency had us watch a video where transracial adoptees shared their feelings about being adopted by parents of a different race. Many of them did not have good feelings about it. People also have to think about whether their families will welcome a particular child.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I sincerely doubt that there are an adundance of INFANT AA boys available for adoption. Older ones certainly but not infants. Do you have a link to a source that says there is?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 10:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Because adopting overseas is generally less costly, less time consuming, and less "red tape" than adopting here in the states.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• 1.) It is not cheaper....most IA programs range between $25K- $50K depending on the program..
    2.) It is not a shorter wait time- China is currently over 4 years from log in date to referral...
    3.) Less red tape?? Nope.... you deal with 4 layers of government instead of 1 dealing with the system or DIA here.

OP- There ARE a lot of AA children available for adoption...and not enough families open to them. However, there is a huge difference between foster care and DIA. It also depends on your area for DIA as well. Some agencies have more AA e-moms and very few profiles to show them. I have friends in NY that have adopted 2 AA children domestically..they were one of 3 families that had profiles to show the e-moms that were open to AA children.

We adopted internationally. For us- we had lost a child to stillbirth and we were not in a place that we could attach and relinquish a child back to their bio family...we were not open
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:31 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• to DIA since many women are still coerced into placement. We also didn't feel like we could parent someone else's child when they probably just need support in order to parent their child..it just didn't feel right to us.
    We adopted from China. We knew a child in China was legally free for adoption and had a true need for a family. Our process took 2 years and our dd came home at 17 months old. She will be 5 in 2 weeks and has been home for almost 4 years.
    There are many reasons why people adopt internationally and it is a very personal choice.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:34 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I know money has ALOT to do with it.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Thanks everyone for your answers so far. I'll look for the article I read. I've done soooo much reading that I'm not sure which site it was on. I don't know that it's true either, that 's why I'm asking.
    Gandeluv

Comment by Gandeluv (original poster) at 10:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• The link to the article was actually posted by someone on this site (thank-you for that BTW).http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1027/p11s01-lifp.html I don't know how to make it clickable.
    Gandeluv

Comment by Gandeluv (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010