why doesnt my daughter say...

Mom? Ma mama? Mommy? She can "say" it but its as though she doesn't associated it with me. Now da da? He gets called it all the time. "Who's here" "da da" I think its because I spend all day with her and I talk about da da, na na, aunt chelche and jack (cartoon) but I don't talk about myself. Is this strange? How do I deal with this?

randibosin

Asked by randibosin at 9:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What I did for associating words with things, people, etc., was place her hands on things she was around a lot, like her bottle and said, "Bottle," over and over again. Then, I said things like, "Blanket," and touched her hands to her blanket. I would sit her on my lap facing me, or lay down beside her on the floor or bed and touch her hands to my face and say, "Mama." After a while, she started getting those kinds of words and then started getting words without having to touch them.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think it's because the "mmm" sound is hard to get the hang of and "da" isn't. DD didn't start saying momma until about 20 months old.
    Don't feel bad that she's not saying it because she might just not be able to yet :)
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No she can say it, she just doesn't associate it with me ;(
    randibosin

Comment by randibosin (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Do you talk to her in third person? I talked to my kids in third person so they would call me Momma or Mommy.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I will have to try that. She's pretty darn good at knowing what things are except for me. Lol. I never thought about it until my friend said" does she say ma ma?" She such a ma ma girl and screams when I leave yet we can't say ma mama?? Its weird; lol
    randibosin

Comment by randibosin (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No I never tried 3rd person, neat idea!
    randibosin

Comment by randibosin (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• The only time my little girl says mamma is when she is in bed and wakes up in the middle of the night. I never hear it during the day. And, like you said, everything is daddy. She hears a door open and all I hear is "daddy, daddy, daddy." I think you are right about it being because she is with you all day. My boys also did the same thing. Try to see if she says it at other times, like at night time or right upon wakening.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• The only thing I can say is, try saying, come to mom, or mom has your lunch ready, or come brush your teeth with mom. Do that all day, and maybe she will do it back. Oh have your husband call you mom also. You can sit in front of her and point your figure at yourself and say mom, and than point to her and say her name. I did that with my two kids. Good luck
    colepip2

Answer by colepip2 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Young babies don't understand pronouns. When you talk about other people you use thier names. When you talk about yourself you use the words, "I" and "me" Follow others suggestions and talk about yourself by saying things like "Mama is changing _____'s diaper/pants." "Mama is making _______'s lunch." "Mama is singing to___________"
    CAMKsMom

Answer by CAMKsMom at 10:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010