Is it normal for a child to "dominate"?

I've been told it's normal but haven't seen any other kid do it except my little sister when she was little.

My two year old "dominates" or humps the floor or other objects. She does it in public too. She's been doing it since she was one. I just ignore her when she does it. It happens more often when she's tired. I try to distract her but then she gets mad at me. Now I know for a fact "nothing" has ever happened to her. She's watched by her great-grandma during the day and is only around me or her daddy.

I'm just wanted to ask other moms if they are also dealing with this. I feel like I'm the only one. It's really embarrassing.

Thanks for any advice.

WestMomma

Asked by WestMomma at 10:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's not dominating,its masturbation and totally normal.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i've heard of autistic kids doing this... does she have any other symptoms that might make you suspect that she might be somewhere on the autistic spectrum?
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

I agree.
    Tell her it has to be done alone in privacy, she'll stop when she gets lonely. My daughter used to do it, and she quit.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I've heard of autistic kids doing it too!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 10:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• She definitely has my mild obsessive compulsive issues. Has to line things up. Move all objects from one area to another and then moves them all back.

As I kid, I had a learning disability. My mild obsessive compulsive issues was a way to control something in my environment.

She does have a tendency to "frizz out" like I do. I'm trying to teach my husband how to communicate with Haley so that she doesn't "shut down", as I did as a kid.

As far as colors and numbers, she's doing really well. Knows blue, purple, green, pink, and black. Can count 2,3,4. Knows 1,7.

Thank you for both your feedback. They are all helpful.
    WestMomma

Comment by WestMomma (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It's normal. It's more common in boys then in girls, but yes it is very normal. Just let her know that, that is something she needs to do in private. It's okay to do, but it is something that she needs to do in private.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• As others said, it isn't dominating, like animals do to each other, but rather masturbation. It is totally normal, but you should discuss appropriate places and times for this behavior, like in her room or the bathroom only.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I hate that the first thing people want to say is that a child was sexually abused if they're doing that. Kids just do it sometimes and don't even know it's sexual. My son sometimes humps the air or the couch but it's just play to him and he doesn't know it's any different than just any other kind of play. Also there's nothing wrong with masturbation. Kids realize it feels good so they do it. Little boys touch their weenies, little girls rub on things or look like they're humping. It's not a big deal. The best thing to do is definitely tell her it has to be done in private in her room and never in public or with anyone else around. But don't make her feel bad for it or tell her it's dirty or it's bad to do it. I hate how people raise their kids to think that sex is bad and naughty and then people have all kinds of issues
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:36 AM on Oct. 24, 2010