How do you feel about sponge bob and other simulare cartoons? Do you think it is better to only let your child watch "your baby can read" and simulre programs like that, or alow them to watch mindless tv programs?

Kris20

Asked by Kris20 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• My English Comp class has had a few discussions about Baby Einstein. We(the class/teacher, most of whom are parents themselves) are all in agreement that Baby Einstein is actually bad for kids. It can cause ADD/ADHD and babies/children learn words better when their is someone talking to them face to face. I someone in the class mentioned that it could actually delay their speech.
    Please dont think I am telling you moms that if you let your kids watch these, you are horrible parents. I really dont care how people want to raise their kids. I figured I could just pass the info along and you can make your own choices.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 7:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I dont like spongebob but my kids are allowed to watch it every great once in awhile. They usually only get PBS kids or Disney channel. I used to let them watch Magic School Bus on TLC in the morning but they've discontinued it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i wont ever let my kid watch nickelodeon shows until they are a little more mature. Nickelodeon has the STUPIDEST cartoons ever!

(thats cool u know what your baby can read is i didnt know if alot of people did lol)

anyway, i like baby einstein a lot but there are some other shows i would let her watch, but just has to go through me first.
    Anonymous

• I think Sponge Bob and other commercial TV programs are a waste. If I have something critical to do, they can be a good, very temporary, baby-sitter while I get the critical task done. Very rare and in very small doses.

My daughter has several videos that I like. Go Potty Go and The Letter Factory top my list. It is so cute to see how proud she is to wear underpants like the big kids in her video and so exciting to hear her sounding out her letters. Now that she knows most of her letters and the sounds they make, I like The Talking Word Factory, WordWorld, and Super Why. These are helping her learn that letters work together to make up words. Curious George is also a favorite. Does she get a steady diet of this? No. Toddlers learn best when playing with an adult, not plopped in front of a TV.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My son is just about 4 and a half. I am a bit of a TV Nazi. I don't really like the TV on. We don't watch TV everyday (I am not a big TV person) and when he does watch it its always less then 2 hours. Usually 2-3 30 minute shows. I have a few shows I like on PBS. (Word World, Super Why, etc.) I like him to watch things that expand his vocabulary, teach lessons, or help his reading/word recognition. I don't want him watching the equivalent of brain junk food. When he was about a year I had the baby Einstein dvds for occasional entertainment... I also really like the Leap Frog "Letter Factory" and "Word Factory". He's seen an occasional movie, too. Those are rare days, maybe once or twice a month.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• not a fair question really since you already posted that you think they are "mindless"

BTW it's similar not the other ways you spelled it

yes my children watch whatever is on TV
    Anonymous

• no, i don't like him watching mindless shows. if he watches anything, it's something that's teaching him something, like Diego, he teaches about animals...as for spongebob, the only thing i see that it's teaching him to to act crazy. why would i want him to act like that?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I watched Tom and Jerry growing up. It didn't hurt me. I let my kids watch it, too. And Spongebob. They don't watch a whole lot of TV, so when they do, I try not to control it too much. They are 8, 10 and 11, though.... I think with the everyday stresses in school and sports they need to veg a little without someone making them learn or being expected to excel.

I also have a 15 month old, and he watches Baby Einstein and Elmo. He's too young for what you call "mindless". I disagree with that.... humor is not mindless.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 5:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My daughter watches/dances/sings to the morning cartoons on disney. When she gets tired so lays on the couch and watches Dora.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my son watches anything!so did i and so do my cousins and sisters and brother..they are all fine!its only tv! ENTERTAINMENT! i dont think there is anything wrong with it and my son is no dumber than any other kid!!
    mommydabbs

Answer by mommydabbs at 5:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2008