Is it possible to induce lactation after menopause?

I am hoping to adopt a newborn, but I had eaarly menopause and I want to know if it is possible to still induce lactation to breast feed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Adoption

• Yes, it is possible. No you do not need to take any hormones. Check out my story, I breastfed my adopted baby http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/

It does not matter that you have gone through menopause, it will still work the same way! PM me if you like!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Maybe with enough hormone injections. You should google this.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• If it's heathier for an infant to have breastmilk instead of formula, is it best for your health and body to trick it with suppliments into lactation?

I'm not sure I can wrap my head around why you wouldn't have the Omom pump her milk and freeze it for you, or use a milk bank with excess milk provided by nursing mothers? Not trying to be mean, but is it important to you that it be 'your' milk? Sorry, I sincerely do not
    understand.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 10:58 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• The hormones and supplements you would need to take for the entire time are not approved for sale in the US, plus they are transferred through the breast milk (much more so than if someone gave birth and breast fed.) The side effects of the hormonest, both immediate and long term, are serious and very real, plus I'd really worry about the risk to the child. Doctors and the pro-lac community like to say it's healthy, it's natural, it's the best for your baby, but I really doubt that applies to induced lactation for someone who hasn't given birth. My OB/GYN told me in no uncertain terms, formula is fine, it isn't worth the risks to induce lactation.
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 2:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Ohhh, I read a blog one time, it was linked somewhere here on CM, about a lady who had a couple kids, went through menopause for some reason, and lactated when she adopted a baby - she had to use a supplemental nursing system, was taking all kinds of herbs & whatnot before getting the baby, pumping for a while before getting the baby, etc, I don't remember who or what or anything but yes, it is possible! I suggest googling it, lactating after menopause, something like that - you should be able to get some good info! kellymom.com should have some info too on it!
    Anonymous

• Talk to your doctor.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 5:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010