Halloween candy trash

My kids have already been to 2 events that they got candy. My kids leave the wrappers everywhere. I told them if they left out wrappers, they would not get to go to anymore events or out on Halloween. Is this too strict?

dancinintherain

Asked by dancinintherain at 10:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• For every wrapper found - not only do they pick it up, but they have to surrender 2 pieces of candy to you. This will quickly turn around the leaving trash around. Oh, and btw - since it's ALWAYS someone else's garbage - it doesn't matter whose it was - they both/all lose 2 pieces. This will also teach them that it doesn't have to be THEIR garbage - if they see it - they should take care of it without being told.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:19 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Not in my house. I also don't let them just have the candy to eat at will either.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• A little harsh. They are only children. Don't make threats you will not back up/ You'd seriously keep your kids from going trick or treating because they left a few candy wrappers around the house? Give one kid a plastic bag and have the other kid clean up the wrappers. Make sure the punishment fits the crime.
    Anonymous

• I used to call my daughter back to pick up any mess and I would stand next to her to help her pick it up. But she pretty much cleans her messes now.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I'd make them pick it up, and maybe not let them have any more candy for a while if they keep leaving the wrappers everywhere.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2010