setting schedules

my daughter is 6 months and im trying to get her on a schedule. we're also in the process of switching her to baby food and a sippy cup too. sleeping, nap, switching to sippy cup, i don't really kno what im doing. help! i need ideas and tips. please!?!

izzis_mommi

Asked by izzis_mommi at 10:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you are trying to do too much at one time. You can wait on the sippy thing for a few months. I just kind of went with what my son did naturally on the whole schedule thing, but than I don't know what kind of mom you are. I was never a hovering type, I would just lay him in his crib and he would lay there and giggle at his stuffed animals or I would turn on this flying cow that I put above his crib and he would just lay and giggle at that. I wanted my son to be independent and be able to self-soothe as much as possible. Easier on me and on him! I would only go to him if he cried or fussed which he hardly ever did at that age. As for baby food, just try one or two at a time over a few days to see what she likes and what may or may not agree with her system. Rice cereal is a good start, a little mixed in with the bottle is a good way to start.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• six months is still pretty young, I wouldn't be in any big rush to do the sippy cup, if a bottle is what she's used to stick with that especially when she's tired. Do the sippy cup when shes up and playing.As far as jar food and cereals, do that in moderation, she still needs that formula or milk. good luck!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• my pedi told me to start giving her a sippy cup when she eats. thats y im tryin to switch. i thought it was a little too early too but i try to listen to the Dr.
    izzis_mommi

Comment by izzis_mommi (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Doctors don't know crap about babies. They are there to treat sick people, not to give parenting advice.

No need to set a schedule OR switch to sippies.... Give bottles (or breast) as usual. Offer solids (no need for baby food) at meals along with sippy's with water.

He eating/sleeping patterns with get more predictable during the second 6 months of life.

Find a new ped!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:38 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Did the doctor mean to let the baby get used to a sippy cup and not replace the bottle or breast? It is too young to just use a sippy.

As far as sleeping routines, we watched for signs that the baby was getting tired......yawns, rubbing eyes, getting cranky, etc. Our kids would start getting tired after about 2 hours @ 6 months. We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath (if at night), reading a few books, lights out, drapes pulled, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2010