Is veet safe for my 11 yr old to use?

She's getting ready to start basketball, she has dark hair & has started the puberty process(but not the period). My husband pointed out that her hair is dark and long on her legs. I dont want her shaving until she starts her period plus she has a twin who does not have dark long hair so I don't want to be unfair. Instead of her using a razor I wondered if veet was safe. I read the bottle but it doesnt say, i don't have the package anymore.

My_o_me_x_3

Asked by My_o_me_x_3 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Its safe just make sure she knows how to use it and how long to leav it on. Make sure she has a timer. My 11 and 12 year olds use it under their arm pits. My 12 year old also uses it on her legs. She also has the same problem long dark hair on legs.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Veet is nothing but chemicals. It eats off the top layer of skin and burns the hair away, so my vote would be NO! That said, I can't imagine not letting an 11 year old shave, most girls I know started around 8 or 9, I know I did. Plus the period rule may seem kinda cruel if one starts at 12 and one starts at 17. Shaving or waxing is going to be much safer in the long run and there is no risk of serious burns or scaring (like I have) from the chemicals in veet. And if she has hair like mine, the veet will need to be used almost daily because the hair is so dark and grows so fast... If you are really against her shaving, do waxing or sugaring, but heavy chemicals and fumes aren't good for anyone, especially someone so young.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It doesn't really work though. What's wrong with just shaving??
    Anonymous

• i think shaving is the cheapest and safest method. i don't even use shaving cream because of the chemicals. i just use ivory soap or burt's bees body wash. if one girl starts shaving, chances are the other one will too. I have dark hair, and i started shaving at that age, only i did it without my mom knowing, and i really took a few chunks of skin off of my shin!
    does the hair bother your daughter? if not then don't bother with any hair removal.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• you could always buy her an eletric razor thats what I did for my girls when they started shaving also my girls started at the same time and their 1yr apart
    heidim229

Answer by heidim229 at 6:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Read the packaging. I'm willing to bet that it's not.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 6:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• im sure its safe, id try it. if your concerned you could always ask a doc
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Nair works very good, but chemical also, I would go with waxing and it will lasst longer. The problem with either is that her skin is still too sensitive. I would do a test on a section first with either method.
    Nicky373

Answer by Nicky373 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I have to agree that the chemicals are worse than the chance of a cut. I too agree that I am going to let my daughter shave before then. My daughter is 8 and wears a bra. I think I will be teaching her to shave soon also.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Teach her how to shave. It is NOT a big deal. There are chemicals in Veet that may get in her bloodstream.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2010