baby falling and hitting head

my son is alsmost 10 months old and is pulling up on everything! he falls almost everyday atleast 2 to 5 times!!! and most of the time he hits his head pretty hard on our hardwood floor. i am getting worried but there isn't anything i can do bc i put a mat in the floor that covers a pretty good bit and he just gets off of it! but i am just worried that he is going to get a head injury or brain damage or somethin. today he has been running a fever and his cheeks and eyes are really red. do you think that him hitting his head could cause a head injury???

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just try to ice his head after the falls in the spot that he hit. All kids do it and it kills us parents! : )
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 11:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• yea i put ice on it as long as he would let me but he would just cry...it was really red but no knot. yes it worries me to death!! and thanks :)
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• try to pay attention to where it happens most like in front of the couch, even if it's temporary put an area rug there. Also since u have hardwood floors buy those socks for kids that have the non skid pads on the bottoms, they really help! As far as his head, if he has swelling I was told by a doctor to make sure if it swells out instead of in. Good luck!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• if he ever starts vomiting after he hits his head or his eyes do NOT dilate (when the pupils of his eyes get bigger in dark and smaller in light) call the dr or take him to the er right away bc those are the dead give aways of a concussion. Also if he ever just acts "off" you know what it means, differently than normal. I would be concerned with the red eyes cheeks and fever, he might have an infection regardless, but yes, all kids fall and hit their little noggins. My oldest once fell off my bed and got stuck upside down under my bed and in between his bassinet I was TERRIFIED!!!!!!!!! he was scared but fine......
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 11:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• thank you i feel a little better...but am still worried. i just took him to the dr a few days ago bc he was crying alot and his voice was hoarse. but he wasn't running a fever then, so i may have to take him back :(
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My dd had red eyes a runny nose and a fever last week. Does his eyes look like pink eye but without the crusty stuff? You might want to take him to the dr. My dd ended up having an infection in both eyes because of a sinus infection that blocked her eye ducts.. I never even knew that was possible
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Have you had him checked about the constant falling? Ask for a Cat Scan of the head to make sure nothing internally is going on up there. Some kids may just be clumsier than others.....they typically say that there is some padding up there before you get to the skull and normally the kids are fine when they bump their heads but I have always gone to the doctor or emergency room to have them checked just as a precaution and to make myself feel better.
    frazzledmomx3

Answer by frazzledmomx3 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My son was like that too. He was contantly falling and bonking his head and had bumps. My pediatrician told me that it is normal just watch them after woards to make sure it's not serious but if he gets back up and starts playing agian he is fine!
    DeegansMomma08

Answer by DeegansMomma08 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It sounds like he is just getting sick or has an infection. Kids fall... if he was crying in pain and didn't stop or was vomitting then I would worry. Kids will let you know when something isnt right. Remember this : They're tougher than you think!! My twins were the same way... still are.
    momoftwins0987

Answer by momoftwins0987 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010