When should a girl start shaving her legs? At what age?

dancinintherain

Asked by dancinintherain at 11:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, I started shaving when I was ten even though I think my mom was a little aprehensive to let me start so early. But I was ready and I wanted to. Therefore, I think that if a girl is interested and ready enough to ask then let her. She is trying to grow up a little and thats OK.
    kat12874

Answer by kat12874 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would say 12-13....but if my daughter had uber hairy legs, I'd def let her shave earlier. I knew a girl in JHS/HS that had some seriously hairy arms (she had light skin and DARK hair), and kids teased her relentlessly about it. I would never put my DD through that just because I didn't think she was old enough.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My Mom was the anti-shave scrooge. I was sooooo embarrassed. I began sneaking around and shaving mine at 11. When my granddaughter comes to me and asks about it we will find something that works for her. Whether it's Veet..or electric or a razor. I will never put her in that embarrasing position.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think it is a personal choice between a mother and daughter, usually depending on wether the DD is a hairy person. I mean like past peach fuzz.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think my daughter shaved her own legs at about 9. I would say as long as they want to and the razor is safe, it's fine.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i guess it depends but i personally think whenever the girl feels like she needs or wants to and if there is really hair there. i started at 10 and that was alittle too late because one of my friends already made fun of me lol.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• When she wants to and has the ability to do so without chopping off a leg... I was about 8 or 9. I wouldn't think sooner than 6 or 7, but I think it depends on the child and her hair level and comfort with it. I wouldn't say push a child to shave early, but my aunt was very very hairy from a very young age on, and was really horridly teased even in kindergarten over it, so I wouldn't see any reason to stop a child from shaving if it meant saving them the stress that comes with that kind of thing...

On average I would say 8 or 9, but depending on the kid it could be sooner or later...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i think i started at 10 secretly, but my mom saw my legs once and said eww you need to shave and from then on i've been shaving lol.
    Keyonsmom

Answer by Keyonsmom at 11:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Depends on the Girl. Mine started at age 13.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:32 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• 13 or when needed u a women so u should no when best
    reeree946

Answer by reeree946 at 2:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2010