Am I a bad mom because I don't really get on the ground and play with my toddler every day?

My husband says I am. I clean the house and watch tv and read and go on the internet and i involve my 22 month old son in my activities as much as I can, talk to him all day, take him to the park, color with him, try to teach him things about how things work, etc. I love him like crazy and would do anything for that kid. but I'm just not the kind of person that really wants to get down and play with his toys with him. My husband doesn't play with him either, but insists that he does more than I do. But he's never read him a book or given him a bath. My mom comes to town and my son loves her so much he won't hardly go to me or his daddy because he just wants to play with her. But then my husband complains she lets him get away with too much cuz she lets him play with things like pots n pans and stuff. What do you think? Do you get down and play with your toddler?

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you're not a bad mother!!! i dont get on the floor all the time and play with my toddler either..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i dont do it twenty four seven a day but i do get down and play with her a lot.. it doesnt make you a bad mom... kids can really entertain themselves a lot with their toys and coloring all that stuff.. tell him to kiss your ass lol
    danielle_hanna

Answer by danielle_hanna at 11:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I do, but not with their toys. I kind of let them jump on me while I work out, and then get them with giant tickles.

Toys are for independent play. It's not like they say, under two and ages 30 and up.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• my son loves my mom alot too. when shes around, he barley wants anything to do with me. me and my mom both let him play with pots and pans though. i dont see anything wrong with that. i dont really play with my sons toys, but yes i do get down on the ground and play with sometimes. he really likes it if i chase him around telling him im gonna get him and then get him and tickle him, so we do that sometimes. i dont play with his toys all that much but i do occasionaly.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think your husband needs to quit whining about everyone......there are different styles of parenting, and you sound like a loving mom and your mom sounds like a loving grandma....your husband sounds like a loving dad, too, but he also sounds a bit immature and competitive in an area of life where that is inappropriate.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• When my son was a toddler, I worked two jobs, six days a week so I myself did not play with my son in the floor everyday. He enjoyed playing with his own toys by himself. But, we sang songs, we danced, we exercised together and watched every episode of Thomas the Tank Engine on TV together. I gave him his bath and a massage everyday. To this day, right now, he wants a massage after his bath. Just be you and your child will love you for who you are.
    Ryansmom1964

Answer by Ryansmom1964 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I don't think that you are a bad mom, but you would be a better mom if you did get down and play with him more often. It doesn't need to be all day, but an hour of trains, legos, blocks, dolls or cars would be good for both of you.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• definatly gotta do the bath and massage every day.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I thought that I was still a good mom. There are some moms that don't even want their kids around at all. So just because I'm not into playing with him constantly doesn't mean I'm a bad one. I also feel bad for not holding my son 24/7 but when i'm cooking dinner is when he wants to be held and I tell him there are sharp knives, raw meat, and hot surfaces in here, none of which can be near a baby. So how am I supposed to hold him? My son barely ever wants to go play on his own. And he won't play with his daddy cuz he never held him as a baby or played with him really. But it's not like I go around calling my husband a bad father. As long as he loves him and is nice to him he's a good father. He's just been a real ass tonight. He said some pretty mean things to me and I try not to let it bother me
    Butterflysky_24

Comment by Butterflysky_24 (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• That doesn't mean that you are a bad mother. You're his mom and you do play with him, but in other ways. There are more ways to play with a child than getting on the floor with him. It's also normal for kids to play with pots and pans as long as they don't put them on the stove. All kids do this and its perfectly normal.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2010