When do you dispose of the books your kids have outgrown?

I have 3 bookcases full of books and other books laying around the house waiting to be requested on paperbackswap.com or bookmooch.com. I have some toddler board books and some other books that my boys seem to have outgrown and I'm thinking it's time to send them on their way. But when do know for sure, we have so many books that the boys may just not have seen the ones I would think about giving away. When it comes to books I'm sort of a hoarder so this is kinda hard for me.

Mommy22boys

Asked by Mommy22boys at 11:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• My DS is only 2, so we still have all of his books right now. I was thinking of going through some of them soon though. I think we may give some to my SIL or a friend who had babies earlier this year. I also donate books to our local library for their collection or book sales. They use the money from the quarterly book sales to buy things for the library. They were able to buy some computers for the children's library. They were also able to do a mural in the children's library and buy supplies for story time and crafts.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I don't get rid of them. I am also a book hoarder. I have 4 bookcases (6ft) full of books. I want a library room in my home by the time I retire. If I run out of space I just put them in a box in storage.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I don't think I have every thrown away a book in decent condition... If it's good enough to give away, I keep it. Even if I just take it up to the attic. Now, I am very picky about the books I buy for my kids and generally they are hard on them cause they read them over and over and over and they get rough... But I simply can't bring myself to get rid of any of them. I have shelves and shelves of my own books to.. To me, there is nothing better than books! I eventually would like to have a room to use as a library, and put them all in there...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would sell them on craigslist or donate them.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I donate a lot of things like that to domestic violence/womens shelters. Also my friends are more than willing to take some off my hands.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Take them to salvation army, a local day care, a women's shelter...there are a lot of kids who would get a world of enjoyment out of something that's collecting dust.

I'm very strict about the amount of stuff my son has. I don't 'rotate' toys, they are passed along to someone who will enjoy them more. I think a spirit of generosity is such a rare and important thing these days, and any opportunity I have to try to instill that in my child I will jump on.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:03 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It's not so much what to do with them. I either swap them online (paperbackswap or bookmooch), give them away on freecycle, or give them to my niece. My question is more, HOW LONG do you keep them after the kids have stopped reading them.
    Mommy22boys

Comment by Mommy22boys (original poster) at 8:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My children's books - I keep. I want to be able to give them to my grandchildren.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'd keep them for a year from the last time they have asked for it.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 7:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You are actually suppose to dispose of them???? Oh my..... no wonder why my house looks like a library!
    Kat204

Answer by Kat204 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2010