Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

single mom - wanting to travel outta the country w/ my daughter (shes 6yrs)....

So I live in canada, but I want to take my daughter to the states..(it's literally 5 minutes from my house)..we both have passports, and all that kinda stuff..but..I am not with her dad...and he is no longer involved in her life..but yet, we still have a court order..i have noooo way of getting a hold of him, to get "permission" from him, so that i can take her..does anyone know if there are ways around it? so that i can taker her without his permission?? like can i go and get a letter from MYSELF saying im going ____i will be gone _____ i will be back _____ etc??? and then get that letter notorized?? im only gonna go for the day...but i am planning a disneyland vacation for her for next year to....this frickin sucks!!!!


Asked by alexis_06 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 42 (146,031 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • directly from the US borders/customs website: If a child (under the age of 19) is traveling with only one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian, what paperwork should the adult have to indicate permission or legal authority to have that child in their care?Due to the increasing incidents of child abductions in disputed custody cases and as possible victims of child pornography, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, or friends, a note signed by both parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter. He/She/They has/have my permission to do so." CBP also suggests that this note be notarized. While CBP may not ask to see this documentat

    Answer by karamille at 12:23 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • I would contact a lawyer, you should be able to get permission to leave the country from the state, especially if you have no way to reach him. I'd start now, and make sure that you're ready for your trip next year.

    Good Luck!

    Answer by ohwrite at 12:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • you would have to talk with a lawyer to make sure that you are covering you a** lol. These laws vary a lot.

    I would hope since it is just for a vacation and the fact that you ex is no longer involved(or hasn't been for a while)..that it would be fine.

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • I've never crossed the boarder with my kiddo, but a friend of mine comes down here with her child. Her husband and her are married, but she often travels withouth him. I think all she does is show the passports at the boarder and she's done. I think the only way you would have issue is physically moving and needing a visa.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • asks a lawer

    Answer by reeree946 at 2:36 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • If her father is uninvolved, you should be able to get his rights terminated

    Answer by rkoloms at 3:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2010