Military move where should we go?

Dh is up for orders soon and we may have the chance to move overseas or east coast. Our families live on the east coast so it would be nice to be back there. BUT moving overseas could be a once in a lifetime chance. BTW moving to the east coast means we are buying a home and getting ready to get out the navy. But if we moves overseas he may have to stay in longer and put buying a home off by 3 yrs. So wdyt?

Keyonsmom

Asked by Keyonsmom at 12:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Travel

• Overseas!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to go back overseas. I lived in Italy for 3 years when I was in the navy. It was incredible. However, we won't get that chance any time soon because most places have a cap on dependents.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:23 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I was DYING for overseas orders when I was in the navy! If you have the opportunity, go for it! Do you guys want to get out soon? Where on the east coast? I was in Newport, RI, and that was a nice area. Not much of a VA fan.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:29 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• he was thinking of getting out within the next couple of years. But if go overseas he will put it on hold until we move back from overseas. We were thinking about VA beach, we are from philly but i don't want to move too far northeast.
    Keyonsmom

Comment by Keyonsmom (original poster) at 12:41 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• where overseas? my dad was stationed on Okinawa for a total of 6 years (2 tours) while i was a kid and it was wonderful!! all the places i got to see that i would never have otherwise seen...lets just say the list is long! i say go overseas if you can...plus my mom always says they were able to save a ton of money while overseas b/c there just wasnt much to spend it on...so you could save up for your house and have a nice down payment when you get back!

either way good luck!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:55 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I would say it depends on where overseas! But, it is a once in a lifetime oportunity, especially if he is planning on getting out soon. GL

Amlinich

Answer by Amlinich at 6:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Three years overseas isn't so bad but if you want to buy a home and let the government pay for some of that mortgage payment then move to the east coast would be a wise thing to do since your husband will be getting out of the military.  Also, remember you'll have to make that mortgage payment with the same salary he has now so just keep that in mind.   

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Gosh I would give anything to be back on the East Coast. We have been in Washington for 7 years now and should be up for orders soon although we have heard that for a couple of years and it keeps getting postponed. I would probably pick the overseas orders but I would totally be happy with moving closer to family.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My DH retired after 20 years but I would have loved to go back overseas one more time. Always enjoyed that so much!! With the Navy you can go to Japan, Italy, Spain, Brussels, so many fun places to go and experience
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:25 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would do overseas in a heartbeat. Especially Europe.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2010