Do you let your child dress himself?

And let them leave the house like that? Every once in a while I see a child at the store who obviously dressed himself. I think it's so cute.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 12:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yep. And Yep! As long as their chosen clothing is weather appropriate, I don't care. Now, do I let them wear short when it's 15 below? Nope, but that's more for the simple reason that I like them to keep all their toes and frost bite sucks than it is because I don't want them to dress themselves

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:27 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Most days my kids dress themselves, they wear uniforms to school but almost any other time they pick everything themselves. The only times i say anything is if they aren't wearing weather appropriate clothes, or if we are going somewhere that they need to look a little nicer.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 12:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• yes- he choses his own clothes. and sadly, i've given up on changing him. lol

it was last winter time- when he came in the livingroom, with shorts and a longsleeve shirt- ready to go outside. tried putting long pants on him- BIGGEST fit ever! i mean, it was 3+ hours. EVERY time i tried to do it. i've slowly gotten him used to wearing them, but he still prefers shorts over jeans, but who can blame him? i wear b-ball shorts and a beater outside in the dead of winter, my brother wears b-ball shorts and a t... my mom wears her normal clothes (stretch pants and a tshirt). we are NOT a jeans and coat wearing type of family.... although DS has gotten into this glove thing. its weird- he used to just wear the one glove- on his right hand (like michael jackson- but DS has NEVER seen him!), but now he finally wears both- but he'll wear them, while wearing long sleeves, a hat and shorts. lol
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 12:31 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• yes, he usually helps to pick out the clothes, or does it on his own and as long as we aren't going anywhere special he can were it out as well. Usually he picks wheather appropriate clothing.. he told my mother yesterday that it was going to rain tomarrow...guess what its raining lol...he's like my own wheather channel.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:36 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• At a young age, as long as it's weather appropriate, yes. Well, other than church. I make sure they look fairly nice for church. Once they get older, I'm probably going to ask them to pick something that looks halfway decent to go out.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 1:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• kinda. I pick out a few things & she can choose from those. But she is only 3.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:23 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• NO. My son's not old enough to dress himself just yet but I already know that I would let him play around the house in whatever he wanted to dress himself in, but i would never let him leave the house in mismatched clothes. There's nothing wrong with teaching your kids to take pride in their appearance and look nice when they go out. But at home it's cute and no big deal
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 24, 2010