Im about 8 weeks pregnant, is it okay to sleep on my stomach?

jessi1414

Asked by jessi1414 at 1:53 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no i wouldnt sleep on your tummy......sleep on you righth side thats what my doctor told me
    mamamtobe

Answer by mamamtobe at 2:02 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• At 8 weeks I do believe you can still sleep on your stomach. The baby is sooo tiny yet that you shouldn't notice anything different and there wouldn't be any harm to the baby. I think I went to my side-sleeping positions around 6 weeks, only because I just felt so bloated at that early stage, so it would be a personal choice. I want to say they recommend side-sleeping from around 12 weeks on... but not 100% sure. Congrats!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• you can sleep on your tummy until your about 3 months along and your left side provides more circulation then the right...but what is impotant most of all is your comfort level ...the unborn baby is very resilient
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Yes you can sleep on your stomach as long as it does not hurt you. I also am 8 weeks preg and this is my 3rd child. I am considered a High Risk preg so i have to watch what i do and can't do all the normal stuff a regular preg girl can't. So my dr puts a lot of limitations on me the only thing he had told me was no sleeping on my back because it decreased the blood flow to the baby. Trust me when you get far enought along you won't be able to sleep on your belly any more because it will be uncomfortable for you.
    baby_3_in_az

Answer by baby_3_in_az at 2:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• of course you can. It is safe. When you are bigger, it will become more uncomfortable so try laying on your tummy with one leg bent to slightly roll you on your side.

Kinda like the lady in this picture.  http://www.stacksandstacks.com/maternity-air-bed-twin-size

What you really want to avoid is sleeping on your back for long periods of time. But again, this for when your belly is bigger and heavier. The weight can put pressure on your vena cava vein in your lower back/ upper thigh and limit blood flow.  The best position for you and baby is your Left Side, but it is not always the most comfortable. Use lots of pillows!

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I didn't think it was safe to sleep on stomach. Maybe at 8 wks is fine though, idk. I slept on my left side a lot but I didn't know one side was better than the other. As long as you are comfortable. I slept on my back when I wasn't on my left side. But if I was on my back too long the lower part hurt so I would move to my left. I tossed and turned a lot the closer I got to my due date. Congratulations!
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 2:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• id stay comfy for as long as you can because soon you wont have a choice
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 2:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I lay on my tummy from beginning to end with all 3 of my pregnancies, I can't sleep any other way.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• well thats something new i learned i didnt know you could still sleep on your tummy at 8wks i was always scared i was gonna hurt the baby, thats something good to know so i can tell my friend
    mamamtobe

Answer by mamamtobe at 2:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I slept on my tummy until my water broke. I used a body pillow to get comfy. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2010