What do you do when you can't take birth control, but cannot get pregnant at this time in your life? adult content

My husband and I have 3 kids. After the 3rd baby I went on NuvaRing because we definitely need to wait 4-5 years. However, I happened to get a blood clot in my lung just one month after starting NuvaRing. Now, I cannot use any form of BC. My husband just hates condoms, so what other options are there? Has anyone ever used that counting method, where you do not have sex on specific days of the month? And how reliable would something like that be?

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 2:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Nothing is fool proof, not even hormonal BC. But I, like you can't (and wouldn't anyways) take the hormonal stuff. My DH is rather "large" and the average condom causes him some issues... We really liked sponges, and I desperately wanted to get a diaphragm... Sponges are expensive, but they are awesome! And they can be left in for up to 12 hours and through multiple uses in that time frame... A diaphragm has to be gotten through your doctor, but it will do a similar job to the condom, although not quite as good at it... But if you use it in conjunction with natural family planning you should be okay...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:43 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• The Rhythm method (the counting one) is not very effective, and only works if you have EXTREMELY regular periods. Have you looked into Paragard? It's the non-hormonal IUD, and it's good for up to 10 years, it's immediately reversible (a quick visit to the doctor to have it removed and you can go home and start trying!), and it's more effective than a tubal ligation! Over 99% effective! Do some research on it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My first suggestion would be the Copper IUD.
    After that I'd suggest the sponge.
    I'd also suggest you read the book Taking Charge of your Fertility. Natural Family Planning or Rhythm Methods can be done effectively if you also follow your body's cues. Taking your temperature everyday, charting your cervical mucus, charting your ovulation by using Ovulation Predictor Strips, etc..... are all really effective ways to learn when you are fertile and when you are not. Until you know, you either use birth control of some sort or you do not have sex.

Good luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I would, in that situation, combine non-hormonal bc (like Paraguard) and charting/NFP. That's actually what I plan on doing after having this baby- hormonal bc messes me up, but I know I couldn't avoid pregnancy using just NFP and charting, so I will be getting the copper IUD at my six week. As always, you should ask your obgyn about your options, the risks of each, etc before committing to one.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2010