I used to be a Catholic...but now I am a Christian

Why do people say things like that? I see it all the time...
"My husband i a Catholic, but I am Christian"
"I was raised Catholic, but now I am a Christian"
I am not a Catholic myself, but I have read a lot about their beliefs as well as the beliefs of the Orthodox Church, and I just don't understand why other denominations do not think Catholics are Christians? I don't get it.

Asked by Amlinich at 3:02 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• call me an idiot but i thought they both believed in the same god

Answer by pinkrayn at 3:09 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I think the biggest thing that some christians (of varying denoms) have against the Catholic church is the Pope...oh and the Saints....

But, you are right, Catholics are christians... they believe that Jesus died on the cross, rose from the dead after 3 days, etc...
    I was raised in the Catholic church (I am a pagan now) and I used to get beat up for going to church... they thought I was much for brotherly love, eh?

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Of course Catholics are Christian. Anyone who says different is full of bull.

Answer by pnwmom at 3:58 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• – collapse
    um Catholics pray to Mary and Jesus so no they are not fully following christ and are not christians IMO

Answer by adelinasmommy at 4:43 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Ultimately, it really is only for Jehovah and Christ to decide who are true Christians or not, no matter what we call ourselves or think of ourselves or others day by day.

Answer by juggy82 at 6:31 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I always thought Catholics were Christians

Answer by elizabr at 7:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It's such a tough subject because naturally EVERYONE is going to have an opinion! I don't like when people say that either...because my entire family is Catholic and they believe that Christ is a the living true God. The only way I would think that is because in ways Catholics belief alot is in works and the "Christian religion" believe his grace is enough if you accept that grace.

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 8:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• because people are ignorant.

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Because people on both sides are often taught to see the other side as not right or not the same, when in reality we're both worshiping the same God.

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I have to say in all honestly say both sides aren't taught this as a general rule. I grew up going to catholic school and church and never ever was one negative word spoken about another religion or denomination of Christianity.  When I go to church they talk about things from a Catholic point of view, but never talk about any other faith in a negative way.

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2010