Does it make me a bad mom?

Does it make me a bad mom if i am not OK with sacrificing my needs for everyone elses. My daughter comes first ALWAYS no questions asked but i have needs that i need meet also. Am i just suppose to forget about them?

andreasmom13

Asked by andreasmom13 at 3:02 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• No not at all. In fact it's been recognized that if a mom doesn't take care of herself, then she's not likely to be doing the best job as a parent either. Like the saying goes "If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy" lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:04 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• As one of my friends said 'if you think about being a 'bad mom' it means you're a good mom b/c you're trying to do the right thing.' I thinks she's right.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I would try to balance everyone's needs. You do have a right to your's. :)
    fluppyducky

Answer by fluppyducky at 3:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• No, honey, that makes you human. =)
    I'm with these guys. When I'm not taken care of, I can't take care of anyone else. I think we're all that way. My DS gets his needs met, and gets tons of attention and love, but sometimes I need to go for a run or do homework or just take a break. I think any mom who doesn't get a break here and there is probably on the edge of a nervous breakdown.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Thank you guys SO much for the support.
    andreasmom13

Comment by andreasmom13 (original poster) at 3:19 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I know it's easy to feel guilty and selfish for having needs, let alone seeing to it that they're met. It's really sad to me that we're raised that way as "modern" women. Men have been getting their needs met for decades, and we deserve to be happy, too. Ultimately, it's better for the family if everyone's needs are met, and that includes Mama.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:29 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You need to look after you and your family. Of course people always put their children up there.. and thats how it should be .. but you need to treat yourself too.. if your not happy you may not be a happy person to others, if you know what i mean.
    make sure your child and you are both happy . :)
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 4:24 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It took me a VERY long time to come to this conclusion for myself....I needed to look after myself for my children's health....looking after myself and fulfilling my needs and dreams in the last 3 years has made me a better mother, a better role model, a better person, all around.....I'm happier for one thing, and for another I'm showing my children how to go after what you want or need in life....(for me, I'm talking about taking time for myself to go to the gym or exercise in some manner every day, to lose weight, to go back to school and in the future to start my own business...it will be fexible and allow for all my evenings and weekends to be with my children, but I'm still doing something for myself....and my children have made more progress now than they did when I didn't do these things....) soooooo chase your dreams.....look after yourself.....just make sure to include your family in your endeavours when possible
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• No that doesnt make you a bad mom
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 5:30 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• No, you are not a bad mom!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:48 AM on Oct. 24, 2010