who here gets along with their in-laws?

I have tried for 5 years to play nice with my in-laws. They are very wealthy and all of their children are entitled brats. They are conceited, selfish, know-it-alls. The latest argument involved one of them (childless) who told me she knew more about being a mother than I do (even tho. I have a child) b/c she 'thinks about' what it'll be like. I am tired of trying with them. I'd like them to try to be nice with me for a change, altho. I know they won't b/c they are selfish and rude. One of them criticizes my 18 mos. old DD for being 'out of control' (also childless). I am thinking about boycotting Thanksgiving w/ them b/c I am so tired of their bulshit. Luckily I get along w/ my MIL but she's the only one. Does anyone else not give a shit if they get along with their inlaws or not??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm sorry that you have to go through that.I'm glad that you stand up for yourself and stick to your guns.It also makes me lucky my in-laws are in Texas...lol
    andreasmom13

Answer by andreasmom13 at 3:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I love my inlaws.
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 3:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I adore my IL's
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 3:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Eh, it's a mixed bag.

My MIL is a good friend, and I call her Mom.
    We go on trips together, shopping, hanging out, joking around.

My FIL is a leftover pothead hippy with ideas to match.
    He has said and done things to my Dh that have separated us from him.
    It's doubtful we'll ever see eye to eye, but I try to be respectful when we meet.

SIL? I could write a book. Two-faced is a good descriptor, really. Again, I try
    to be polite, but will never be close.

LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 3:59 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I get along with my inlaws, but i didnt with my exes as she was a psycho B$$ch.
    it is unfortunate you are in this predicament. but why dont you just be nice to the MIL as you get along and in the end thats all who really matters. The children are just idiots. And obviously feel superior by putting you down because they know better.. Admitedly I thought ( before DD) that I knew more about parenting them others and I thought the kids behaviour is a by product of the parents.. this is true to an extent but kids will be kids.
    They will never know untl they actually have kids, so when they have a go just laugh at them. dont get upset and dont listen to them. They are just ignorant and spoilt.
    hang in there. as long as you and your man is happy thats all that matters. who cares what others think.
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 4:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I get along with my in-laws
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:32 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I get along with my SO's family
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 5:32 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I get along great with my inlaws. I am glad you get along with your MIL and I would make sure that relationship stays solid. As we all know the greatest experts on children comes from the people who do not have children! How could we manage without them?! Of course, I am being sarcastic. It nevers ceases to amaze me how they think they have all the answers. I have heard many say it was so different once they had their own!! Talk Thanksgiving plans over with your DH. Maybe you could just leave early this year. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i hate my in-laws... im glad we are over a thousand miles away from them! never spent a holiday with them or anything. its just me the hubbs an our son an our growing son or daughter. so happy its that way to! :)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 11:50 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I love my In-Laws. They live around the coner and we are there all the time and they are here all the time. We have a lot in common and enjoy each others company! Sorry you are having such a horrible time with yours.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 4:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2010