What is back labor and how do you know when it starts??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 3:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had irregular contractions ( if you call them that) for 3 days.. I had my first and only baby on the 16th of jan this year. It was like severe stabbing pains in my back. and I couldnt sleep it was that bad.. so yeah no sleep for 3 days pre labour is fun!
    my baby was posterior too facing my right hip. the excercise ball only helps so much!
    and you will know when it starts.. for me it was excruciating and the worse pain i have ever felt. I actually hated it more then labour. and I had DD naturally. they said my labour was only 13 hours but they didnt count the 3 days prior as the pains were irregular.. talk about a great start to motherhood. :)
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 4:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It starts out feeling like a back ache - more bothersome than just being so far along. It may have brief periods of relief - but that's usually in between actual contractions. I had back labor with all 3 of mine 28 hrs the 1st time, 48 the 2nd and 5, yes FIVE DAYS of labor with the last! That's why she was my last! Had she been my first - I am pretty sure she would be an only child! I delivered all 3 after only having back labor with NO EPIDURAL and only 2 pushes! I am pretty proud of my accomplishment! =)
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:23 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Back labor is when the baby is in the posterior position (meaning facing your front), which puts pressure on your spine, and you feel the contractions in your lower back. When I had it, contractions started in the front, but as labor progressed, it quickly moved to my back. By the time you're in active labor, you'll know for sure!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:08 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• There will be no mistaking it if you are having back labor. It hurts and finding a comfortable position is difficult. However, I survived and my son is awesome!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:30 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Excruciating pain in the back during labor. It occurs when the fetus is in a posterior presentation, with the back of its head pressing again the mother's spine.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 2:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2010