Is Christmas too commercialized to you? What do you do to keep the focus off the commercialism?

It's not to me, and I find that by taking my kids out and doing things as a family, spending time making our own decorations and even making some homemade gifts, and going to church for the candle light ceremony all help to keep the focus off just the presents. It keeps my kids from just seeing Christmas as a time to get gifts, and instead they see it as a time to spend with family and in celebration of Christ. What about your family? Do you enjoy the commercialism or do you try to take the focus off of it? Not judging or anything, just wondering. Some of my friends, it's all about the shopping and the giving/getting for them so I was just curious to see about others.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:43 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Holidays

• I guess I sort of do it all... I LOVE my Christmas shopping because shopping is just fun for me anyway... and I like to get people gifts I think they will really love or appreciate. That said, our more special traditions don't cost much. We go to this old mill every year and they have thousands of lights and boiled peanuts and they give candy to the kids and there is a train ride thing...most of it is free and then we usually ride around town looking at lights after. We put up the tree and have hot cocoa and watch old favorite Christmas movies. This has a small fee...but we also take dd (and now this year our new son) to a zoo where you can ride in and see lights and then feed all the animals. I also give clothes and toys when I can (we've been broke some years...flat broke) and I'd like to teach my kids that Christmas is about family and love and God and giving...they are just too young to get it yet so far.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Exactly, family time is a great answer to this problem.

We read books about Christmas all month long, listen to
    music/hyms, drive to see lights/nativities.

Plays and cantata's are another fave for us.
    Donating time/money/food/clothes is another way to give,
    and receive.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 4:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Christmas is fun, i don't let anything keep me from it and i don't let anything influence me to spend more money than what is planned , i don't care about all the rest of the drama , i'm with my family and friends and going to enjoy my holiday
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 11:55 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I think it can be too commercialized if you let it be. All of you have great answers. I think it depends on what traditions you have and how you spend your time. I do the same as you ladies, we read books and watch movies and spend time together as a family. Of course my kids get excited about their presents but I just remind them that it's not all about that.
    mochamomof3

Answer by mochamomof3 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2010