working at a day care...

everyone is different, this is well understood upon asking for employment.. or motherhood.. I realize that everyone is different... However this is a little odd i think.. tell me what you think?

My latest child was there until 10:30 and they were there for 1 to 2 hours by them self so i got to connect with them... it's my job to not ignore them right..? mother comes in and makes a comment that we should stop holding him as much during the day because he cries more and wanted to be held more... she didn't raise her other kids like that.. she has like 4 or 5 children in all... now i did not do anything excessive. i picked him up when he cried and i worked on grabbing etc... really i didnt just shove him in a swing and call it good..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• is just that alittle weird? she also didnt want to change him all the time - she wanted us to wait 4 to 6 hours to change him and also feed him every 4 to 6 hours.. being state approved we could not comply with these requests..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:45 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• that is laziness and clear neglect.. how can you leave a baby in their nappy for 6 hours if the poo wont eat their flesh the acid in the urine surely will. bloody hell!. what r your guidelines on reporting parents? I know there confidentiality issues but if you think the child is being neglected don't you have to repor them? as for the holding, i can kind of understand it.. but in the same sense a child needs attention, but not always be picked up simply because they want to be picked up also depends on age .. around 8-9 months onwards babies know how to get their way, so maybe if they are older then that I might understand it. I dont know what else you can do. If the baby is not showing signs of neglect and abuse then I suppose there is not much you can do.. as for the feeding depends on age also. if they are getitng solids then the bottle may wait if they are young then probably not
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 3:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• ummm.... I think it is strange about the diapers/ eating, but as far as the holding goes, I am with her, I dont like mine held unless it is for a good reason, when people over hold a child, they never want to be put down, now mind you, I am talking about 8 monthes on, before that we hold them all the time, but they have to learn self soothing!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Understand the holding but the feeding and changing........um thats just wierd...
    raurismomma07

Answer by raurismomma07 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• sorry guys. yea it was okay to change the diaper if it was poopy but otherwise HER baby only peed like every 4 hours so to change it every 2 hours or check was not needed....

the child is only 4 months old Now. i worked with him for maybe three weeks is all... i agree don't hold a child unless he needs it ... at 3/4 months old a child needs everything. when i first met him he couldnt even hold his own head at an adequate level.. when i started playing with him and working with him he developed so fast... it seemed like the mother would set him down in a swing and we would just sleep for most of the 8 hours he was with us... that seems so wrong. and then i talked to her and she wanted him to be up and tired for her so she would get to sleep at night (understandable lol) ... sooo hmm
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• As a former infants class teacher, I would have told her that the state requires us to do a diaper change every 2hrs even if they are only a little wet, also as far as holding, I wouldn't stop, you may be the only real personal contact that that baby gets, I can understand the napping however I refused to deal with cranky baby's just because mom wanted to bring them home only to feel them and put them to bed by 7 or 8. I had most of the babies on a schedule for naps and everything but once in a while they would just need that little extra.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2010