How long after a c section do they let you eat?

lovebunny82709

Asked by lovebunny82709 at 4:34 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• For me, my Csection was at 530pm, I was allowed liquid right away (becaues I was PARCHED!!!), but became nauseous, so it was back to ice chips until morning when I got a "light breakfast, dry toast, chicken broth, jello", but by lunchtime they let me have real food.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 7:13 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My C-section was at 1:50 in the afternoon, and I wasn't allowed anything except water and ice until early the next morning. I don't even think I was supposed to have the crackers and popsicles my nurse snuck me early that morning (like 2 or 3 in the morning), since she told me "eat it quick, don't tell anyone..." but by breakfast time 9 am the next morning, I was able to have bacon, eggs, toast, grits, coffee, and juice.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Mine was an unplanned, semi-emergent c/s at 2am after 16 hours of labour. I didn't have anything to eat until breakfast the next morning, but I was able to drink water when I got back to my room at 5:30am-ish. Breakfast came at about 8am.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I drank a 32oz. Pepsi right after I got out of recovery LOL. I did not eat until the next morning though.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 2:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• With my first it was a full 24 hours.
    With my second I was eating lunch that day, so about 4 hours after surgery.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It all really depends on why you had the c section, what meds you are on, how you are doing and hospital procedures. I was on a liquid diet for the first 24 hours after my csection because I was on magnisum sulfate so I couldn't eat solids.
    DeegansMomma08

Answer by DeegansMomma08 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010