When does spanking become physical abuse?

juggy82

Asked by juggy82 at 5:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• bruises, blood, they can't physically move without discomfort
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:31 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• adelinasmommy took the words out of my mouth. I don't think that "spanking" is a good word to call it. I called it discipline. I have heard other ppl call it 'correction'. When you are training your child(ren) - which you do either intentionally or unintentionally, you need to make sure it is never ever done in anger. You shouldn't get to that point. You tell the child "if you do not stop, I will have to discipline". There is no anger, just clear direction. If the child CHOOSES to not obey then you instantly apply discipline. If you don't do it right then - your word means little or nothing to the child. Children need a chance, you say. You gave him a chance when you told him to stop. That was his chance. Don't drag it out - THAT is where the anger on your part comes in to play. You set yourself up to become angry with the disobedience of your child if you don't handle it immediately.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• yes either or, and no there should not be
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 5:19 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• When you spank so hard you leave bruises, or you use a belt or something that hits their back. Most people arent going to just whale on a child. Spanking is done out of love and concern for the child.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• When there is anger behind it and it leaves marks.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 5:08 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• A red mark or a bruise? Isn't there some level of anger with every spank?
    juggy82

Comment by juggy82 (original poster) at 5:13 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Abuse is a word much used but hard to define. I think that a spanking can be a mistake without being abuse as such. I think a good parent should only spank the least amount to get the vital effect. People talk about ;should only a hand be used? and should there ever be smacks on a bare bottom? Where as in fact the act is less important than the relationship. If the severity of the spanking makes the child truely feel unloved for any period longer than the actual punishment telling off time (rather than just ashamed or annoyed) it is a mistake. Therefore for some chiuldren it would always be a mistake. Possibly for other children a firm bare bottom spanking acts as an effective tool, it really is for the parent to judge the psychological effect.
    psychstudent

Answer by psychstudent at 5:43 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• bruises, consistant for no good reason, and if you use a belt, or any other weapon/ object and if you hit anytwhere ohter tha the butt
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It really concerns me that you are so preoccupied with spanking and "isn't there some level of anger with every spank". Your concern should be on learning how to properly apply discipline to teach your child(ren) the choices your child(ren) make that are wrong/bad should be avoided in the future.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2010