When is a child too young to spank? And when are they too old to spank?

juggy82

Asked by juggy82 at 5:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• too young: When they aren't big enough to defend themselves from an adult.
    too old: when they can grab a Louisville Slugger and give it right back atcha, Mom and Dad....(whack)!
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'd say 3 years old to 10 years old. I am really against spanking however FTR.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 5:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'm anti-spanking, too. To answer your question, a child is too young if he doesn't understand why he is being spanked. I'm not sure about an answer for when a child is too old.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 5:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Every child is different - but my rule of thumb is that a child is old enough to be disciplined when they knowingly disobey. You tell a 14 mo old not to touch the outlet and they look right at you and touch it anyway - they are knowingly disobeying your order. That is old enough to be disciplined.

Too old to be disciplined? Is there suck a thing? As they get older, you would use more of the "punishment fit the crime" method. This teaches him also. But really, if you properly train your children when they are really young, you will have very little need for "spanking" above and beyond the age of 6 or 7. My kids are nearly 14, 10 and 8.5 yrs old and I can't remember the last time I had to discipline! I am sure it was at least 2 - 3 yrs ago!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:50 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I think they really dont even understand til 3,
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 10:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• we spank from 2 to probably about 10 ( dont know yet) But at about 1 1/2 I will two finger tap the hand if they are not listening about touching/ throwing
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• What's up with all the spanking questions? Younger than a year is too young . Too old to spank, debatable.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i agree with duckigrrl, but i will add my parents spanked me untill i was 16 lol...
    raurismomma07

Answer by raurismomma07 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• "too young: when they aren't big enough to defend themselves from an adult"

OMG, really? I pray my children and I never run into your brats er, I mean kids! If you seriously think you have to wait til then - what age is that anyway? 15? And if you have a kid taking a baseball bat to you - 1.) I guarentee you your kid is a brat, 2.) you definitely should have spanked them and HARD! 3.) it's kids like yours that are bullies, psycho-paths and headed for prison. I'd sleep with one eye open while they were in my house if I were you!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You tell a 14 mo old not to touch the outlet and they look right at you and touch it anyway - they are knowingly disobeying your order.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

KNOWINGLY disobeying??? I disagree! When you say "don't touch" the outlet has suddenly, reasonably, for so young a mind, become even more intriguing. What does don't touch mean? Anything? Why not touch? Ooo, touching this thing gets my moms attention . . .
    Just frowning saying 'danger' in a tense voice and taking them away from the outlet each time is enough. Was for mine anyway. It feels disproportionate to spank a baby for playing out natural curiosity in it's surroundings (imo).
    juggy82

Comment by juggy82 (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2010