Anyone have children or have dealt with children that sleep walk?

My 3 yr old just started sleep walking recently, something that we have never dealt with before. We keep everyone dangerous up high as usual, keep the doors locked, and try to be careful. But we don't know what else to expect. Any insight for me?

Natsnumberthree

Asked by Natsnumberthree at 5:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• My 6 y/o does. You just have to listen for him and try to figure out what he needs when he gets up. Most of the time when my son does it he has to go potty. He stands to my chest and I have to get him to the bathroom and convince him to go potty so I can get him back to bed. If I have to wake him up I have to listen to him cry so, I try not to. Its is frustrating to say the least. Sleep walking runs on my family so, I have a lot to look forward too!!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My 12 yo does. About 3 months ago, he walked right past me in the living room, into his brother's room (who was staying at a friends hous that night, thank God!). I heard something that sounded like he was peeing. But I thought no freaking way! He walked past me again and went back to bed. I went in his lil brothers room, and sure enough, the wall and carpet were SOAKED! So not only did my son sleep walk, but he sleep PEED! As far as insight... I wish I could help. He's broken mirrors before in his sleep too. Never remembers his episodes either. I'm still learning.
    Anonymous

• My cousin did the for longest time. He would try to walk outside. One night, he peed in a trash can. Just keep an ear out for them. and like you said, keep those dangerous itmes out of reach.
    Anonymous

• my husband still does he did when he was little he always go to the closet and pees or trys to go outside I hear him wake up all the time now you just have to watch and hear for them
    Anonymous

• My brother was a sleep walker. It was so bad sometimes with him walking into the street in the middle of the night and such. She finally put a bell thing on all doors going to the outside and on his bedroom door. You know, the kind they have in old time stores that just jingle, nothing electronic. She made it to where when he would open any door in the middle of the night, it would jingle loudly and wake her up. She also put a chain on the doors going outside up at the top out of his reach.
    Meganskiddos

Answer by Meganskiddos at 8:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Oh yea, she also kept a monitor in his room even when he was growing up.
    Meganskiddos

Answer by Meganskiddos at 8:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my sister would when i was a kid you gotta anticipate thin gs..your doin good so far..we had all doors locked to the outside and harmful stuff put away..its just a bunch of common sense stuff really
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 8:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My brother did this when he was little. He sleep-walked into my parents bedroom and peed on their bed once when he was about 4. He thought it was the bathroom. :p He also used to go into the kitchen and take food out of the fridge.

A motion sensor installed in his door is a highish tech way of keeping him a bit more safe.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 9:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My 7 year old sleep walks...luckily I can hear when his door opens and I pop up and see what's going on...the other day he actually slept walk into the bathroom, got into the bath tub and started to turn it on! No joke! When I tried to stop him he got very upset, so I just guided him back into his bed...it's kinda funny...but I worry a lot.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 10:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My dd used to sleep walk when she was younger but has grown out of it. The only thing I can tell you is not to wake the child up...it confuses and disorients them, just guide the child back to their bed.
    ksm0612

Answer by ksm0612 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2008