The word 'spank', . . .

isn't it simply making the obvious "I'm hitting my kid" more socially acceptable?

Illustration:
If you 'chuckle' rather than 'laugh' perhaps you're not really laughing at all??????

juggy82

Asked by juggy82 at 5:59 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think there is a differance on how you spank and just hit your kid. child abuse is for no reason. spanking is for a very specific. i am on the line with spanking. i never have had to do it yet but if i feel its the right thing to do it i will see if its the right thing to do. i never was spanked as a child but i knew my parents meant business. i don't think spanking is a bad thing. some people decide to do it and some do not. its a personal choice and noone has any right to say others are abusing just because they are spanking. that is just my opinion.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:35 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• 5 questions about spanking in 55 minutes
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 6:03 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Oh geezzz. I spank on the bottom, with calmness and of course with plenty of teaching to go along with it.

If you dont whatever, I couldnt care less how your kids turn out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• There's a huge difference between spanking and just hitting. A spanking consists of a couple of swats on the behind, hitting is just hitting and is not relegated to any particular area. Kid's are all different. For some a time-out is all that is needed, for others, taking away items and/or priviledges works just as well if not better. Then there are those for whom the first two options simply don't work. The age of the child and the child's personality all come into play when it is a matter of discipline and a parent has to figure out which type of discipline works best for each individual child. If a swat or two on the behind works best...I say, go for it. I'd rather give a child a couple, 3 swats on the behind when it's needed than have a child who is total brat by the time they are 5 years.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:59 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Dont worry ILovemyPaulie I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and working on a Masters in Elementary. I spank, and will continue to do so. I am educated and intelligent on the subject as I am many child rearing techniques. My spankings come with patience, love, teaching, and in calmness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• omg, if you dont like it, then dont do it, i think it is okay if done when nessacary and with your hand, so let it go! what we say will not change your mind, so quit asking!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• No matter how you say or word your questions, I will still spank my children. You aren't changing anyones mind.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Hitting is different from spanking. Spanking is meant to teach, hitting can be done on purpose or by accident. To spank or not to spank is a choice. What works for some families and some kids may not work for others.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It's really none of your business how someone disciplines their child, is it? Unless the child is actually being abused (which spanking is NOT always abuse), you need to keep your nose where it belongs.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Smacking a child with a weapon---a spoon, a paddle,whatever ....that is wrong. It is abuse. With your hand, not with force,but a tap or two,will get their attention and then you TALK with the kid. Spanking is with the hand. Paddling and hitting with a spoon,etc.is abuse.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2010