How do I know that I'm not over feeding my newborn?

How do I know that I'm not over feeding my newborn? My first child was really small and would eat an ounce or two every couple of hours. This guy is bigger, sleeps longer and eats about 3 to 4 ounces within an hour or so and then back to sleep. Am I giving him to much or is this normal for heavier babies?

OliviaW.

Asked by OliviaW. at 5:59 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That sounds normal. My son was 9lbs at birth and was drinking over 32ozs a day, my pedi said to never with hold formula or BM as babies will not take it if they are full. So, that is what I did and if my son didn't want it he would squirm and not drink. Now he barely eats anything at all! Congrats on the LO!
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 8:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• This is normal. As a newborn, it's really hard to overfeed them, they aren't going to want to eat if they aren't hungry, and if they do get too much into their little stomach, as a pp said, they're most likely going to just spit it back up. (Though of course some babies spit up a lot anyway or spit up when they burp, so...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:40 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• my LO was 11 lbs at birth. It is completely normal.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 6:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• This is a normal amount. The baby will throw it up if it is too much for his stomach.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:18 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Each baby is different. This is his normal.
    earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 6:33 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• A bigger baby would reasonably want and need more milk. If you overfeed him (if he'll let you that is) he'll sick it back up. One of mine drank loads and slept loads. Much easier psychologically than a newborn who can only handle small very frequent feeds. Enjoy!
    juggy82

Answer by juggy82 at 6:50 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i do believe its normal :) your baby will tell you hes had enough by pp said throwing up.. or they will move away. just feed until he doesnt want anymore.. thats what i did an now i have a happy healthy boy :)

enjoy the sleep while you can an congrats on your baby!!
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 11:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Newborns' stomachs are the same size and hold the same amount no matter how big or small they are. A bigger baby does not need more than a smaller baby.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• If he wasn't hungry he wouldn't eat... no worries!!! He is a growing boy... and if he sleeps longer that is why he drinks so much while he's awake. That's actually good because he will probably sleep through the night sooner for you if he isn't already.
    momoftwins0987

Answer by momoftwins0987 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2010