grocery shopping?

Just curious how much $$$ ya'll spend per week? Per month? Or how often do you shop? How much should a family of 5 be spending? :) thx!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Shopping

• We are a family of 3 and every week we spend 150-200. We have a 13 yr old boy too and he never stops eating..LOL
    kywildcats

Answer by kywildcats at 5:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Family of 4 and many animals grocery cost includes food, toiletries, pet care, cleaners etc.

Normally: about $110 per week. (sometimes less sometimes more). However if I really have to I can get it done for $45 (That's what I had to do this week)

How much you should spend? Is depended on what you buy, where you buy and where you live, and if you are willing to make from scratch......
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Tell me how to do it for 45!
    luschram

Answer by luschram at 5:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• 1) The weeks that I only have $45 to spend, I don't buy cleaners or pet food. I'm lucky on the weeks that those happen I do NOT NEED to buy those things. So I'm only buying food! 2) I go to a place like aldis because things are cheaper there (for the most part). 3) I get things that I can make many meals out of: Beans (a bag of dry beans, navy, pinto), bag of rice (not minute rice), a bag of potatoes, onions, a large ham or a large whole chicken ($7), noodles, and spaghetti sauce, eggs, can veggies, apples, 3 breads, etc.

Spaghetti 2 meals: $3
    The ham or whole chicken can last 3 meals: $7
    potatoes: $3
    Milk: $3
    1.5 dozen eggs $2
    rice $2
    beans $2
    sausage $2
    can veggies (4 cans): $2
    more next post....

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• continue: Those things will cover 6 meals. I know there are 7 days a week, but tend to shop every 6 days, not 7. That leaves $23 for cereal, milk, bread, PBJ, hot dogs, mac and cheese, and apples. It's very basic, and it's not that way all the time, It happens here about once every 3 months. I also have things that will carry over from the following weeks so I end up using what's in the house. It means more cooking on my part..... It's not easy, but it can be done if it's a must!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Very clever! I'll use those tips!
    luschram

Answer by luschram at 6:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I shop at price rite and I spend $75 every 2 weeks so that's $150 a month NOT including diapers and wipes. I LOVE IT!!!! I also go to BJ's about once every 2 to 4 months. (I get diapers). I have a family of 4. As for what you should be spending would depend on where you live and how much your family eats. No one can tell you what you should be spending. GOOD LUCK!!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 6:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• We're a family of four and on the low end we spend about $100 a week -- a high week can push $200. I shoot for under $600 a month including diapers. This is actually something I am actively trying to work down to a lower number, being more frugal and cutting eating out down to strictly a "pizza" night once a week for $5. It's a battle, we both love to eat out and it doesn't take many mistakes to tack on an extra $150 to our "food" cost. My goal is to get us around $500 or less on total food cost. We don't have Aldi's in DFW :( The best I can do is look at the local ads and work the specials to my best advantage. I stock up on stuff when it goes on sale, and plan my meals based on what I already have and what I can pick up on sale that week.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I think I o pretty good, but my husband likes to shop and ups the bill. Otherwise I could do it for 100 and eat really well. we shop aldi's, costco, and sales at local grocery store. We are also into the Share program now, and get a good amount of food for $20. ($45+ worth).
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 9:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• we are a family of 4 (only 3 here to eat) and we spend 120 every two weeks. that is not including diapers, wipes, or pullups. We hardly ever eat out, so i cook every night. Its me and a 4yr old and a 2yr old. My 4 yr old eats as much as i do. (hes not overweight at all eithor. just tall)
    when my husband is here we spend about 150 every two weeks.
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 10:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2008