Is going to church overrated?

My mom used to go to a Seventh-Day Adventist church when I was little and I hated the way that some of the church members acted because some of them were snobs. I also didn't care for some of the beliefs that they had in that particular religion. I feel like church is overrated and that I don't need to go to prove that I believe in God, or a Higher Power. I know why we're supposed to go, to serve the Lord and give thanks and praise, but sometimes it's hard when people turn up their noses and fail to treat you kindly like their supposed to.

I feel that if I do what's right in life, take care of my daughter, and help people in need, why do I have to go to church? I know that some might disagree with my question, but I feel like people make to big of a deal about going to church and choosing a particular religion. A lot of people who go to church are phonies and they are the ones who sit and judge others and act like saints.

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 8:03 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have to say yes, church and even religion is overrated. My fiancee and I talk about this often because we both come from strong southern baptist families and yet we are the odd ones. We don't feel that its right to "brainwash" a child into believing what we believe. We also don't feel that its right for a child to see people begging for money that aren't in need. And furthermore, why should they be tought that they have to fear their God. Who said that in order to get into the pearly gates of heaven you have to fear this certain person? Also take the time to research religions that were around way before Christianity came into light, Christianity has only been a religion since the 14-15th century. You will see that alot of the stuff Christians believe, was "stolen" from other earlier religions. I will also say, that in a church you will find the biggest group of hypocrites in one setting!
    SuprMom12042702

Answer by SuprMom12042702 at 8:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• well then you answered your own question... if your not religious then of course you find it overrated.. but to those that enjoy church and religion then no its not overrated and we enjoy the friends we have made there.. i know i enjoy the company of the friends i have made there, and my children can come to church when older if they want if not they don't oh well, i go for me.. so its not overrated to me cause i enjoy it, but i donate 1 dollar every sunday, i think you and supermom are just against religion period so this question in all honesty is sorta stupid if your already one sided it will be a one sided q and a that you will support answers from
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 8:34 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• NOT all churches have the biggest group of hypocrites.. i think if you are religious and you want to go to church the NO its not overrated if your not overally religious then of course it would be overrated to you
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'm sorry you had that experience. I do not feel that going to a church is over rated because the people that go to your church *should* be a support group for one another. It's not just about your beliefs, But I guess it just depends on what church you go to.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:13 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Is going to church overrated?

No ... I think it is underrated.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• your question is to ask for both sides view yet all you are doing is focusing on one side how religion is always shoving down the throat yada yada.. don't like church don't go and move on and don't care if others have faith in god and want to go to church
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Your God doesnt care where you worship Him; be it in a church, or in your own living room. Our faith/religion is a personal choice. Your relationship with your God is between you & Him. Where you do that doesnt matter, as long as it fulfills your beliefs & spiritual needs. If you live your life the way you feel your God would want you to, He sees this no matter where you are. I enjoy being in a church because I love the feeling I get in my heart & soul when I am surrounded by the sereneness & beauty inside. But--I cant always go, so I take time out of my day to go to my bedroom, & have my time with my God. As for putting money in the basket every sunday?? NO ONE can buy their way into Heaven. I appreciate the fact that churches need our offerings, but the money you give wont make a difference come judgement day, if you dont live your life the way your God wants you too.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 9:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i think church is over rated... people are always like you need to go its good for you! no... its the same as praying at home... but then again i dont go an i dont pray so i really dont have a say... but its just an opinion :)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 11:06 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• browneyes: It sounds like you had a truamatic experience as a child in church. This is all to common for many children and why many grow up turning from God. Sadly some churches still live under Law based rules rather than grace based freedom.
    Here is the reason I go to church and believe me NO church is ever perfect but some are better equipped than others and have gone through things other churches have not or refuse to go through.
    My reason is to be with my church family. We have a high level of family atmosphere, we believe in honoring each other, we believe in His grace, We believe in helping you to see who you really are in Christ Jesus. We do not condemn, tear down but we do uplift and encourage each other. I have been to many churches and this is the healthiest church I have been to. There are a few of these kinds around but as churches grasp hold of the grace message of the Cross and working toward continued..
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I am of the belief that you get out what you put in. I go to church on a regular basis. Yes every congregation has it's share of hypocrites but God will deal with them. If you go in to serve Him and receive his blessings you will not be wasting your time.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 4:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2010