What should I do when my 3 month old has chst congestion?

He has been having a lot of mucus lately so I use the syringe to get it out and just last night he had a very raspy cough when he cried and his chest sounds like there is junk in it and it seems hard for him to breathe?? I'm a new mom so Idk?? And I'm sitting him upright when he sleeps so he can breathe better, but how do I get rid of it?

Devin0414

Asked by Devin0414 at 8:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • put some eucalyptus oil in a hot steamy shower and hold him and sit on the toilet have the door closed the steam will help clear his congestion, also put vicks on his feet and cover with socks but otherwise not much else you can do besides perhaps a lil baby tylenol and keeping him upright GL
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i use a cool mist vaporizor and put some of that liquid vicks in it. its hard at that young of age. also ask his doctor or even a pharmasist, they seem to know as much as a doctor. thats miserable for a baby, good luck!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• A humidifier in the room and Vick's on the chest.  You might want to check with the doctor to make sure it is nothing worse.

Answer by louise2 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i wouldnt put vics on a babies chest... its WAY TO POTENT.. unless you get the baby vics even then they say to put it on the feet with socks on.. and i agree a cool mist in the room not the hot ones, only do steam for the shower
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• First I would try a good humidifier in the room, saline drops for the nose and a good bulb suctioner...throw in maybe some vicks vapor rub for good measure. If that didn't work, then make an appt with your pediatrician to make sure it isn't something more serious like an infection, whooping cough or RSV. Those could be potentially harmful to your little one.
    frazzledmomx3

Answer by frazzledmomx3 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 24, 2010