Rude people

When you go out in public, how do you handle a rude person without getting upset. I know people who fly off the handle if someone cuts in line or cuts them off in traffic, so how do you handle offensive people. Sometimes I let things slide to avoid confrontation, but I want to find ways to handle rude people without being passive or argumentative.

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Shopping

• I dont bother with total stranger.
    1. aren't worth my time, as they aren't a part of my life and don't matter
    2. I don't know exactly who/what I'm dealing with and without that knowledge its better to just avoid them

But ya, I'll give em a look or sometimes feel obligated to make a remark, but I try to just avoid/ignore them completely if I can manage it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:09 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I have done this a couple times and it not only gets the point across but makes me feel good......

I look the person in the eye and say "Boy, seems like you are having a bad day....... sure hope it gets better." Boy it is hard to have a come back for that. They might try to say something about how you are making it a bad day for them, but you just counter with how much you are enjoying your shoping and wish them a better rest of the day.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 9:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I give a gentle reminder that courtesy is contagious. I usually gives that person something to think about. Hopefully, they remember it next time someone else is rude to them.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:16 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Usually I bit my tounge. Sometimes I will talk about them to the person I am with, loudly so they can here me but not talking directly to them. Most of the time I try to walk away from the situatio if I can.

Answer by louise2 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I use to work in retail and sometime you run into rude people. I would just smile and tell them to have a nice day. Just don't let it get to you.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• If someone cuts in line, I usually look at the folks around me and if I get the reassurance that 'yes, that just happened!' I will usually say something like "Excuse me, the line starts back there". It just shocks me that someone would actually have the audacity to do something like that right in front of my face! That's why I have to get the reassurance from my fellow linemates ;-) We were at Disney World just recently, and the line for the Dumbo ride was insane! A woman in a wheelchair approached the handicap entrance with her 2 (older) kids. She simply opened the gate and ushered her kids in and they ran straight to the front of the line while she sat outside the gate. IDK, I hate when some folks think that their time is more important than everyone else's.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• They are not part of my life, so why should I get upset at them? That would just be me upsetting my health over someone else. Nope.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:55 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'm not really one of those people that hold back. If someone pisses me off while driving by riding my tail or cutting me off...they usually get the finger. And my biggest pet-peave ever...when people stop walking right in front of you at the mall and you have to move around them, I'm sure they hear the things I say under my breath. The way I see it, people these days really are stupid, and sometimes it takes something that drastic to get them to realize what they did.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• dirty looks and an exagerated sigh

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• lol well my hubby flies of the handle lol so i do dirty looks and sometimes will say something depends on what it is!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2010