Gender

What do you think dictates one's gender identity? And don't get gender confused with sex. Gender is one's feeling of maleness or femaleness based upon social perceptions of maleness and femaleness whereas sex is actual sexual anatomy. So basically, what makes you feel like you fit with the social perception of what female is? What makes transgender people feel like they don't fit with the social perception of the gender/sex they were born? Nuture? Nature?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 9:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I just feel like a girl, always have. Although I like to joke that I lack girl genes that make me want to do things like have a giant wedding or decorate.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:04 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'm sure they're wired that way. Studies of people who received gender reassignment surgery in childhood due to genital injury demonstrate that raising someone as a male or a female doesn't make them feel like one.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• probably nature. nuture probably has some influence but not enough I would think to make a person feel they should have been a boy or a girl. Great question I have never thought about it.. Will have to ask my drag queen bestie when I see him :) though he likes to dress as a girl and has an alter ego, he never wanted to have surgery.. He is gay and is happy being a boy as long as Foxxy can come out every weekend lol.
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• From what I am learning it is "wiring" in the brain......I am also learning that people are a lot more gender fluid or gender variant than we realize, and culture can force people to hide this in order to fit in....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Hell, I wouldn't know. I've never "felt" like a man. It's probably just bad wiring in the brain. When people are diagnosed with malfunctions in the brain (such as depression or psychotic illnesses and such) they can give them meds to counter or reduce the issues. Maybe they should be looking for a pill to cure gayness.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• itsmesteph11 - You are confusing sexual orientation with gender identity. Gender identity has NOTHING to do with sexual orientation.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Nurture IMO.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2010