At what age was your child diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder?

ZandCsmom1968

Asked by ZandCsmom1968 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son was 8 when he was diagnosed.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It was a long process for us. I suspected it shortly after he turned 3. I took him to the doctor who said he was just delayed and a boy, etc. I then called the local intermediate unit who scheduled us for an eval. The eval came back that he was definitely developmentally delayed and they wanted to put him in Early Intervention and then after 6 months, the teacher would recommend whether she thought he should be evaluated for autsim. Just a little over a month later, she called and said she was recommending an eval now, as she didn't need 6 months. A couple of months later, he had that eval and it was confirmed. By that time, he was almost 4.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:37 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My dd is 5 and has not been diagnosed yet...but we know. She is VERY borderline, highly functioning. She is also receiving all the services she can get right now anyways. So b/c of those two HUGE factors I am in no way in a hurry to push a diagnosis...it doesnt change her.

Lots of people disagree with me, but I am doing what I feel is BEST for my dd's particular situation. To me, this is not a one size fits all issue.

If she were more severe or not able to receive her therapy I would certainly be looking for a diagnosis.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:50 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My son was almost 3. It took nearly 2 years of knowing something was wrong to get something done. This was back in the early 90's.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• 18 months with the first one, four years on the second, and just over two years on the third.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:38 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• 5 , hes now 10 ,it was a long road , he was in ESD i asked for autism eval and they found him autistic , i feel they should of suggested the eval themselves to me way before 5.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2010